Minorcas

Picco

Songster
12 Years
Mar 14, 2007
NY
I want to add a few white egg layers to my penedesenca flock and love the look of the black and buff minorcas. How flighty are they and how well do they lay?

I got what I believe were black minorcas in a hatchery mix from Ideal. I just took them to the sale because they were the wildest birds I have ever had. I kept one just to see what her eggs are like, but in all likelyhood she will go too. They are kind of pretty, just not for me.
smile.png

I have 1 buff minorca and she is twice as flighty as my leghorns!

She's 11 months old now and has started to settle a little, but still very flighty, and quite vocal.

She lays almost every day.

I have two 3 week old Black Minorcas. They are definitely a flighty bird. One of mine, Amelia, is already quite the flyer. She can fly straight up, 3 feet, and get out of the brooding pen. She will get out, take a stroll around the room, and then go back in the pen all on her own. Yes, I named her after Amelia Earhart!

UMMMM...... I also wanted to add some white layers to my flock and got two buff minorcas chicks. I hope that by handling them alot, I can get them to be calm. They are only two days old so I will have to hold and cuddle them alot.
big_smile.png

I have had several black minorcas over the years. They, like leghorns, are a nervous and flighty breed. The difference in appearance between those bred by good breeders, striving to keep them to the standard, and commercial breeders is remarkable. The ones I got from, I guess you would call, exhibition breeders were absolutely beautiful. The ones that came from commercial hatcheries layed better, but did not look like what minorcas should look like and were really small. I had one rooster who was calm and friendly, but he was one out of many.

Back
Top Bottom