Mint Leaves?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Justin F, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Justin F

Justin F Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2014
    Searcy, Arkansas
    Hey everyone I have a question about chickens eating mint leaves. I'm growing a large bunch of mint and am not sure I'll be able to eat all of it so I figured I could give some of it to my chickens when it becomes too overgrown. Has anyone experienced any problems from this or is mint deadly to chickens. I hope it'll give them fresh breath too! [​IMG]

2. SavageDestiny

SavageDestiny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    Bend, OR
  3. Justin F

Jan 13, 2014
    Searcy, Arkansas
  4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Mine never touch the stuff other then to scratch around it. Maybe yours will be the ones that like mint, most don't.

5. Justin F

Jan 13, 2014
    Searcy, Arkansas
    I may have to mix them in with other things, need to find some recipes to use up this stuff.

6. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    I wouldn't force feed it to them just to get rid of it. I'd cut the plot size of the mint grown to just what I would use and grow something else for the chickens. .

7. Justin F

Jan 13, 2014
    Searcy, Arkansas
    Oh yea I meant for myself. If they don't want it then they don't have to eat it. Sorry for the confusion [​IMG]

8. rebask

rebask New Egg

Jan 22, 2014
    East Texas
    Adding it to foods that you prepare for them should be fine. We (Spelled, "I") bake for our chickens a sort of cake/treat that produces an egg increase by three fold, or more. Haven't tried giving it to them in the summer, yet, but plan on it this year. I mean, it works so good in winter, I wonder what it'll do for them in summer when they can get all the bugs and other stuff they want to eat, too??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by