Mint plant question

I tried 10 times to grow mint from seeds and only the last time some germinated. it is not the same mint as on picture so it is totally useless for me. I like spearmint and I bought a plant for 2 EUR and divided it in 2. when it becomes invasive I just take some out and throw it to the chickens.

I use it green all year around. it is not a seasonal plant where I live as we have no real winter. I love green tea with a few fresh spearmint leaves.

Fresh mint tea is wonderful. Mint juleps aren't bad, either!
wink.png

I used up half my seeds trying to germinate them in a plastic germination "station" with a seedling mat below. They started to grow but then seemed to just wither after a few days (I was watering them). I had Kentucky Colonel, spearmint, catmint, and tulsi...disappointing that they didn't make it because I had plans for all the great stuff I was going to make with the leaves - and the cats would have enjoyed the catmint, too.

I think I'll wait until spring and look for local cuttings for sale. I have a feeling I'll have better results with those.

I tried 10 times to grow mint from seeds and only the last time some germinated. it is not the same mint as on picture so it is totally useless for me. I like spearmint and I bought a plant for 2 EUR and divided it in 2. when it becomes invasive I just take some out and throw it to the chickens.

I use it green all year around. it is not a seasonal plant where I live as we have no real winter. I love green tea with a few fresh spearmint leaves.
My comment about it being "seasonal" is a bit misleading. It never really dies! But it does go to seed. If you cut it back before then, it will just keep cranking out more succulent leaves and stems.

Fresh mint tea is wonderful. Mint juleps aren't bad, either!
wink.png

I used up half my seeds trying to germinate them in a plastic germination "station" with a seedling mat below. They started to grow but then seemed to just wither after a few days (I was watering them). I had Kentucky Colonel, spearmint, catmint, and tulsi...disappointing that they didn't make it because I had plans for all the great stuff I was going to make with the leaves - and the cats would have enjoyed the catmint, too.

I think I'll wait until spring and look for local cuttings for sale. I have a feeling I'll have better results with those.
If you try planting seeds again, try freezing them in a bag of moist peat moss or potting soil for a few weeks, then plant them.

where I lived before mint was seasonal. it died in winter and new ones were coming out of the roots in spring. we had cold winters with snow. I am happy now with no winter, lol.

Back
Top Bottom