Miracle Cures & Products

When DW's hen was attacked by a possum a year ago and peeled the skin from one side and did major muscle tears at the butt.
She finially was returned to the flock after months in the ICU (den).
Takeway was, 'triple antibiotic ointment', aka neosporin. Lots of it slathered on the open wounds.
In this case the brand name was better than the 'walmart' budget product because the neo would disolve quicker but the cheaper brand would clump and the hen would eat it off the wound.
I'm not opposed to generic and would use it on myself, but for chickens the name brand worked better.
PS, The hen fared better than the possum.
Our hen had all the skin torn off her right thigh, it looked like a skinless chicken thigh you would buy in the market. @Overo Mare was very helpful, I cleaned everything well in the beginning and applied generic antibiotic ointment. The generic brand just sat in clumps and the hen would peck at it and eat it. We switched to Name brand Neospoin, it melted from the hen's body heat and went in to the gashes and such. We did this every day, so it was a bit time consuming spending at least a few times a day making sure she was clean and covered in Neosporin. It took about 3 months for skin to grow back and cover the thigh. We feed a lot of scrambled egg and spiked her water with pediolyte (50-50).
She is fine now, running with the rest of the flock as though nothing happened. The only difference is that her right thigh feathers look like fluffy butt feathers now.

Feed your flock a good feed and not a lot of scratch or food scraps so they have good nutrition; add clean water daily and some oyster shell and your flock should be in good health generally. ACV is good for pasty butt for chicks, but that’s all I’ve used it for.

Have a chicken safe cleaner for your coop and clean it once a year. Have good coop maintenance and keep some permethrin on hand for lice and mites.

Check your birds over regularly for bugs and their feet for any injuries. I do this on the full moon because it’s when I remember, there’s some natural light available, and I take them off the roost at night to do it. Easier to catch them, a headlamp or friend with a flashlight is helpful in any case. It’s better to catch issues sooner rather than later. Check vents, under wings, combs and wattles, their overall condition.

Some gloves, tweezers, vet wrap, a scalpel and some Silvex for injuries/bumblefoot all come in handy. Also some gauze pads in various sizes. If you’re in a very warm climate some Chicken electrolytes are also good to keep on hand. Epsom salt for a bath if a hen becomes egg bound is also helpful.

I’m not one to coddle my chickens, serious issues mean it’s time to go, but I evaluate on a case by case basis.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom