Miracle Cures & Products

LaurieJoanna

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2020
Hi there! I am relatively new to BYC, and I am certain that I am not the only one who wound up here due to a chicken emergency... I am still an amateur chicken keeper, and so I'm learning as I go, which means that I lack the experience and/or products I would have to amass over a period of time, and I thought it would be incredibly helpful to quite a few of us if some of you more seasoned pros would bless us newbs with some of the miracle products & cures you've come across along your way!

~ Products you would never be without (and why)
~ Preventative measures and what they prevent (why they're important, potential issues caused without them, etc)
~ "Miracle Cures" or processes you've learned of (I recently read a post that referred to bread & yogurt effectively bringing a chicken back from the dead, and it sure saved one of mine...)

I am particularly interested in having said "miracle products" and anything else needed for cure all's on hand *before* a situation presents itself - in which time is usually key...

I think the lists that could be generated from such a thread (as this one has the potential to become) could save countless numbers of chickens as well as their keepers endless hours of suffering, deaths, alongside the misery and concern that come with them by simply being prepared - so that when we newbs search for a solution, we already have the products on hand to implement the suggestions you all bless us with. Too many times I've read that the product wouldn't arrive in time, and I have suffered this issue myself...

So, come on, all you chicken pros out there! Lay it on us❣️

My favorite product would have to be Poultry Cell especially for assisted hatches ducklings and chicks. I have seen them go from flopping, stumbling and unable to walk to running around with the rest after dosing for a few days. Even within hours you can sometimes see a difference.

My tidbit of helpful information is exposing your chicks to your local soil right away so them can build an immunity. Whether that is with a broody hen, letting them play outside daily or putting some of your soil on a tray for them to play in your brooder. I have never had to treat for coccidiosis and still have my original unopened bottle of corid.

Blue Kote and permethrin are the only two products you need.

One rids you of poultry pests and the other is a topical treatment for wounds that lessens pecking. What else could you possibly need? Oh, an axe or hatchet is needed if you propagate birds. Cull the weak to strengthen your flock.

No apple cider or yogurt miracle cures here. Just good nutrition and healthy birds.

I try to keep some of that grow gel food stuff on hand around shipping time so that my new arrivals always have some easy nutrition right away. Might make egg feed mash this time though since I think I'm finally out of the gel and didn't order from my usual spot this time

I highly recommend a headlamp, and get one with a red light option. You can see with both hands free.

The red light is great for if you have to take a bird off the roost at night, ie, you don't want to chase an uncatchable bird around your run. They don't see the red end of the spectrum well. They will know "something's here," but in the dark with just the red light, they can't see well enough to get away.

When DW's hen was attacked by a possum a year ago and peeled the skin from one side and did major muscle tears at the butt.
She finially was returned to the flock after months in the ICU (den).
Takeway was, 'triple antibiotic ointment', aka neosporin. Lots of it slathered on the open wounds.
In this case the brand name was better than the 'walmart' budget product because the neo would disolve quicker but the cheaper brand would clump and the hen would eat it off the wound.
I'm not opposed to generic and would use it on myself, but for chickens the name brand worked better.
PS, The hen fared better than the possum.

Back
Top Bottom