Miracle missing :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mmaddie's mom, Aug 10, 2010.

1. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Today is a very sad day in my coop... I went up to mow my neighbor's yard yesterday afternoon... everything was fine in my yard... came home four hours later and everything seemed fine, but when I went to put everyone in for the night my big, best roo, Miracle, was not to be found. I walked the yard and looked everywhere I could think... his favorite hen was in the coop already... no one seemed upset and I found no piles of feathers so I can only guess that it was a quick snatch and run by a coyote. My birds are free-range and just love the edges of the bean field (it's cooler there and has the best bugs but provides great cover for a predator).

Miracle was a special bird... he started his life with a broken leg at 2 days old (stepped on)... he healed and his mom and brother and the flock took him back in and he grew up to become top roo... a good roo all around... he took very good care of his flock and was a good bird to us... never a problem.

Every time I hear a fuss outside today, I jump up and run to see what is going on... but it's only been my second in command roo/now head roo chasing down the girls... Miracle isn't here to stop him.

No question here... just wanted to share with people who understand... and I've put it on here before, this is just part of the price that is paid for free-ranging... my birds are happy and healthy and I wouldn't change that.

thanks...

2. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I hope he turns up!!!

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    oh.....[​IMG] i do hope your roo is found, if not, atleast there was you to provide such a loving home for him, some birds dont get that ever in their lifetime.
    [​IMG]
    heres [​IMG] hoping youll find him.

andrea-

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I'm so sorry - I know how much you must miss him. I agree, my guys are happiest when they are free-ranging. We rarely lose one, but occasionally a hawk pays a call when we have babies in the yard.

Hugs to you. Maybe he will turn up - after all, his name is Miracle.

5. mmaddie's mom

Just read cicene mete's wonderful story of her hen coming back after several days... so maybe...
    but I hear my 2nd in command yellow roo (doesn't even have a name) crowing and see him strutting around the front yard and I have my doubts.
    Yes, Miracle was well loved!

6. [​IMG] I am very sorry! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Yes, we do understand as many of us have gone through it. I have lost 8 of my girls over time and it saddens me still [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I sure hope he comes back. [​IMG]

8. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Oh my goodness thats terrible!! [​IMG]
    He showed that he was a tough little guy from a chick, hopfully he will show up. [​IMG]
    You don't think he is just running around in the woods or anything? [​IMG]

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If Miracle doesnt come back, "Yellow Roo" sounds like a good name. Good luck.

10. mmaddie's mom

Quote:Haven't come up with anything else... "YellowRoo" it is. (decided to run it all together when writing it and when saying it) [​IMG]

Miracle was either his daddy or his grandad... hope he developes some of his daddy's traits!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by