Miracle recovery - from what?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Got a sick chicken from a friend, the 3rd one I adopted. The vet diagnosed an air sack infection, as the chickens (young pullets, approx 2 months old) were having difficulty breathing. They stretched their necks as they breathed and made the most alarming noise! I never ever want to hear that noise again, please
bow.gif

Chick #1 sadly died, chick #2 arrived last Thursday and on Friday, after a dose of antibiotics she was fine. Chick #3 arrived Monday evening and by Tuesday evening I was just about force feeding her, just to get something into her crop. After the feed I asked DH to give me a hand giving her medicine. He held her and she struggled a bit, he got her by the throat accidently. We gave her medicine via syringe and I put her on the couch with chick #2 for awhile, watching to see if they remember each other from their previous home. Then it happened.
Chick #3 gave a HUGE sneeze, everything above the shoulders went. Then she visibly relaxed and breathed normally, through her nose, no head stretching, no noise, no difficulty. I held my breath for a bit, just watching her. I couldn't believe what I was seeing! She just sat there, looking around, looking at us staring at her with our mouths open like she was thinking "why are you all looking at me like that?" I offered her some food and she ate and ate, no problem. It was by far the best moment I had with my chickens, ever!
She and chick #2 are now in the chick pen outside, sleeping next to my bed at night and they are both fine, healthy and happy.
Could it be they had something stuck in their throats?
hu.gif

The vet's as amazed as I am.

I thought it may be gape worm, but when I checked I couldn't see anything. All 3 chicks had a smallish swelling under their beaks, which disappeared when they recovered. It was like bit of a double chin. I'm happy they're better, but I wish I knew what it was, so I know what to do next time it happens. (Hopefully it won't!)

Back
Top Bottom