Miracle!! UPDATING AGAIN..& YOU GUYS WILL NEVER BELIEVE THIS ONE! (+?)

preciouspokey

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 10, 2009
SEE PAGE 3 FOR UPDATE ON 6/30

Here it is 3am and I am sitting here sharing my "miracle" with you all. Being 3 am there is no one here at home still awake but me and I couldn't hold it in.....I have to share!!!

To begin so it makes sense....last weekend my husband, my 5 yo grandson and I went to visit a man who raises peafowl. We purchased 4 chicks from him and him being sort of a lonely widower we visited a while. He showed us around and proudly displayed his "brood" for us to see....what a gorgeous...and I mean gorgeous set up he has for his feathered friends! Anyway, before we left we had talked about how my grandson and I had been having so much fun hatching our own chickens from eggs and raising them ourselves. Gage names every one of them too! (and there are now more than 30 I am sure lol) The man said there were some "leftover" peafowl eggs that his hens were sitting on but he said he thought they were no good. He was going to "throw them at the tree" as he put it. He offered Gage and I the chance to take as many of the eggs as we wanted. He bagged up about 18 peafowl eggs, and we lost count on how many guinea eggs lol. We stuck them all in wally world bags and home we went. I figured none of them would hatch but oh well why not right? We took the eggs home but we got home fairly late so we stuck all the wally world bagged up eggs in a box and put them on the kitchen table. Life being what it is, we were really busy the next day and I forgot about our box of eggs!! That evening I remembered and thought oh goodness those are really no good now, but Gage insisted we try. So into the incubator they went. Tonight I decided to candle them and just see if something was happening at all. Amazingly many of the guinea eggs appear to be developing...but, keep in mind there is always the question of had they started developing before we took them? I went through them all and discarded several that just looked bad. Next to the incubator on the floor (in my dining room of all places) is a brooderbox I made from plastic storage containers and in it were our 4 new babies....who are almost flying already! They were peeping away probably at me for disturbing them at such an godly hour.....As I went through the incubator I put the bad eggs up into a different box...and just piled them in there. Periodically I heard this "peep". I figured it was our 4 disgruntled youngsters down to my left. After going through every egg and discarding probably 50%, I ran some hot water and upped the water in the incubator. I was puttering around getting ready to finally go to bed....but thought I had best box up the bad eggs to go to the dump so one didn't accidentally break and potentially drive us all out of our home from that lovely bad egg stench. Again....."peep". I swore it was coming from my right and not my left...where it should have been coming from. I continued boxing up eggs and...."peep...peep". Now I was thinking ok, no problem, I am going crazy...they have good drugs for that now I'll be fine right? Whats a random auditory hallucination between friends. I couldn't take it anymore. I started hunting for the peep. I started going through the incubator one egg at a time....nada. But......"peeppeeppeep". Now I am on the verge of sitting down on the floor and twiddling my lips with my fingers while rocking back and forth. Ok.....let's check the gross eggs. One after another...pick it up and listen....and ...."peep"...nope not that egg...over and over. Finally I came to what I thought was the grossest egg of them all. It was cracked and looked like rotten something barely visible. I really didn't want to pick that one up but had to right? I pick it up....PEEP PEEP PEEEP PEEEEEEEEEP. Yep it was peeing to beat the band. My "rotten" cracked egg was hatching???!!!! Alrighty this made no sense. I stuck the egg back into the incubator and a few mins later.....we have chick. Peachick. Big...healthy....vocal....peachick! Now remember....this egg was considered way overdue, taken from the mom, stuck in a box with dozens of other eggs....forgotten in said box for over 36 hours (no heat)....there was only one name that would be appropriate for this tenacious little chick....MIRACLE! Now here I sit, in my bed typing, box beside bed with heatlight over it.....and two big adorable eyeballs staring up at me...."PEEP". Goodnight all.

SEE PAGE 3 FOR UPDATE ON 6/30

44311_peep_surprise.jpg

44311_meet_chickapea.jpg

44311_chickapea_is_shy.jpg

HAD TO SHOW OFF OUR BABY? DUCKS (THEY GROW FAST!!!) & OUR NEW BABY BUNNIES
smile.png

44311_baby_bunny.jpg

44311_quackers_cheese_wine.jpg

Last edited:
What a beautiful 3 in the morning surprise!! I sure hope he's not a little stinker, lol. Get it, get it? Stinker, rotten egg..
lau.gif

Sorry it's late and I've gotten way too little sleep over the past week.

Good night and what lucky gal you are
wink.png

HeHe got it...stinker part. I can't sleep ugh now it is 4:30am and all I wanna do is watch him/her. Why are they just so much more special when you hatch them yourself (even if by accident LOL) Still on cloud 9. It is such a strong little bugger too....have to be I guess all thing considered!!!

I read this as I was thinking about the peafowl eggs that I have under a broody hen... I was wondering if anyone else had this experience. It seems that when I take eggs out of the bator to candle them (even as early as one week after setting), it seems that the developing eggs hold the heat while the no good eggs cool down rapidly. I am not surprised that it made it even without heat for that long... I had a duck abandon a nest when it was in the low 40's outside. About 12 hours later I decided to candle the eggs out there to see if any had even tried to develop, and was shocked to see movement in 4 of the eggs. Rushed them in to the 'bator and had ducklings the next day. Perhaps Mother Nature has a way of keeping them warm for a while in case mama has to leave the nest?

Congrats on the new baby, I would be on cloud 9 too!

Quote:
Funny part is, not only did he go without heat, you have to figure I never stopped turning him either!!!! He has been on the auto turner the whole time. And FYI.....he is a perky happy lil camper this morning
smile.png
and yep...still peeep peeep peeeping away...good thing he is soooo vocal LOL

Back
Top Bottom