Mis Pollitos

i'm starting to think they're barred rock! hehehehehehehe I guess that one fake hen will have to start producing some roo features within the next 4 weeks or he's going to lay eggs!

HEY, can a roo and hen from the same batch have chicks???

Quote:
Again, They are not pure barred rock because they are Het. Barred. Barred Rock males are Homozygous barred and lighter than that. They are mixed with something, probably RIR X BR, and they are still all roos, the one is just a late bloomer, thats not uncommon at all in a group if males like that and dont be surprised if the other roos that are maturing faster than he is start trying to mount him too, thats not any uncommon occurance either. Pullets do not have combs that big.

Quote:
Again, They are not pure barred rock because they are Het. Barred. Barred Rock males are Homozygous barred and lighter than that. They are mixed with something, probably RIR X BR, and they are still all roos, the one is just a late bloomer, thats not uncommon at all in a group if males like that and dont be surprised if the other roos that are maturing faster than he is start trying to mount him too, thats not any uncommon occurance either. Pullets do not have combs that big.

My Cuckoo Marans have that big of combs & they are all hens. It wouldn't hurt to put a nesting box out but don't hold your breath
smile.png
You also have a couple more weeks before any would lay anyway but better to get one use to it anyway.

Shannon

wow, they do look like Cuckoo Marans! There is hope!!! I'm good with that! Could i keep one roo and if i have a hen and can they breed???

Quote:
Yes sorry, color wise they look like it but leg color is totally wrong. My Cuckoo Marans have white/pink/black colored legs, a mix of all above to their legs. Yours are very yellow.
Not sure on the breeding question & that is if the last one is a hen. I know father roos & daughter hens have breed before without issue, not sure about brother roos & sister hen.

Shannon

i don't know what to say about their legs. They can't be pure anything...unless they're black sex link. So if "it" doesn't start growing roo feathers by 22 weeks, can I assume "it" is a hen? That's only 3-4 weeks from now.

Dominique's have yellow legs and they have spots when their born too...I'll hold out for a dominique? Everyone in my family says this one is different than the rest. It's shy in comparison and has never made position as if to cock fight. Most of them are crowing now...3 out of 5 this a.m. I thought they start crowing at 5 months.

Back
Top Bottom