Misbehaving Silkie Rooster

MarshyRooster

Songster
Feb 28, 2021
I have a Silkie Rooster called Marshmallow (my username is MarshyRooster) and he's a little bit of a weirdo. I thought that Silkies were supposed to be so sweet and gentle and Marshy is a blazing ball of fury. He fights with the hens, with Max, even with the humans. He keeps needing to have vacations to a separate coop. When he was littler, he wasn't a problem but now he's really aggressive. Was his temperament caused by being raised alone? The other two died immediately. I'm not sure how to help him. I just know I won't get rid of him in any way. Should I get him some pullets, or is there a better solution? Thanks!

:welcome Who is Max ? If he is fighting the hens, he would likely do the same to pullets. He may be human imprinted and not even know that he is a chicken. Solitary existence may be his lot in life.

:welcome Who is Max ? If he is fighting the hens, he would likely do the same to pullets. He may be human imprinted and not even know that he is a chicken. Solitary existence may be his lot in life.
Max is a rooster that Marshy sometimes fights with. Not serious rooster fighting, but they annoy each other quite a bit. Marshy is the one who fights with the hens. But none of them are Silkies, so I'm wondering if silkie pullets would help.

I have a Silkie Rooster called Marshmallow (my username is MarshyRooster) and he's a little bit of a weirdo. I thought that Silkies were supposed to be so sweet and gentle and Marshy is a blazing ball of fury. He fights with the hens, with Max, even with the humans. He keeps needing to have vacations to a separate coop. When he was littler, he wasn't a problem but now he's really aggressive. Was his temperament caused by being raised alone? The other two died immediately. I'm not sure how to help him. I just know I won't get rid of him in any way. Should I get him some pullets, or is there a better solution? Thanks!
All chicken breeds can have friendly and aggressive behaviour, Silkie or not. Silkies are more known to be docile but some are not and they need to be delt with so nobody gets hurt. You said he fights with humans too, this can't be taken lightly and you will have to deal with him unfortunately he should be culled. You wouldn't want to use him for breeding or his offspring may continue this bad behaviour too.
He would be stressing out your hens if he is attacking them so that is not nice for them either.

He does attack humans, but the thing is he doesn't actually hurt them. But yes, he does bother the hens quite a bit. I think maybe I should separate him, because I can't cull any of my birds, especially not Marshy. For one thing, my sister totally loves him, for another, I do too, and for a third, I raised him very, very carefully, and I'd never be willing to cull him after that. Should I separate him, or get him pullets (but I don't want this bad behavior to appear in his offspring) or do something else?

He does attack humans, but the thing is he doesn't actually hurt them. But yes, he does bother the hens quite a bit. I think maybe I should separate him, because I can't cull any of my birds, especially not Marshy. For one thing, my sister totally loves him, for another, I do too, and for a third, I raised him very, very carefully, and I'd never be willing to cull him after that. Should I separate him, or get him pullets (but I don't want this bad behavior to appear in his offspring) or do something else?
How old is he? .. if you want to keep him then seperate him. If he is young then maybe isolation for a while will calm his hormones and try again with him when he's maybe over 2 years old.. but if he's already over 2 years old then not much hope for him to become less aggressive I think.

Also, not your fault he's aggressive. lots of roosters who are raised by hand end up aggressive and some not, it's just how the rooster is.
Some other people on here might be able to offer tips and tricks for helping to tame his aggressive behaviour.

If he's attacking humans, but not hurting them now, he may in the future, so don't be complacent.

Marshmallow is definitely less than 2 years. I don't even think he's a year old yet. I think I'll try the seperating for a while. Thank you for the advice about his attacking humans. Although I probably should've mentioned that he isn't completely unreasonable. I give him grass every time I see him, and he's a little bit calmer around me. I will definitely see if anyone else has any other tips for his behavior. Also, I have a question about the separation... will he be okay if we just keep him in his own coop? We've done that a few times and as long as we let him out sometimes and give him fresh food and water all the time he seems content. I'm actually starting to wonder if he's just not social. So... could he just be kept in his own coop?

Marshmallow is definitely less than 2 years. I don't even think he's a year old yet. I think I'll try the seperating for a while. Thank you for the advice about his attacking humans. Although I probably should've mentioned that he isn't completely unreasonable. I give him grass every time I see him, and he's a little bit calmer around me. I will definitely see if anyone else has any other tips for his behavior. Also, I have a question about the separation... will he be okay if we just keep him in his own coop? We've done that a few times and as long as we let him out sometimes and give him fresh food and water all the time he seems content. I'm actually starting to wonder if he's just not social. So... could he just be kept in his own coop?
He should be fine in his own coop. Is he locked up in the coop or can access a run during the day?- like a dirt/ grass area? .. usually chickens are social and need company of other chickens or they sort of get depressed I think. ..Since he is less then a year old he may become less hormonal and calm down in a few more months or so.. don't know for sure though so always be careful and aware when your around him so he doesn't hurt you or anyone else.

I just got a report from my dad that he's getting along with the other birds and he's finally sleeping with the chickens. (He used to sleep with the ducks. I have no idea why.) I'm not sure he'll keep being a good boy when my two ducklings and three chicks come in, but he seems to have calmed down a bit. Now that I know this, do you think he'd do well with pullets of his own? Because our coop is HUGE, and the run is even bigger, so there's definitely plenty of space. And as long as he's calm, he could be a good flock leader. Although it remains to be seen if this calmness will last. Please tell me if pullets would be good for him, or if he needs something else when you have the chance. I seriously can't believe I missed his development. I'm definitely going to check on him tomorrow morning. Thank you so much!

Last edited:
My silkie rooster was raised with a female silkie and he is aggressive to he will try and attack me through the coop wire. He was raised with tons of love just like my female . I have never had good luck with a rooster no matter what breed . I hate rehoming him but I may have to before he does damage to my other silkie. I have met very sweet and loving silkie roosters I guess I just didn’t get that lucky. If you do find a way to tame him I would love to know how . I am a forever pet owner I don’t just get rid of a pet for misbehaving but he is sooo aggressive I don’t know what else to do.

Back
Top Bottom