Fuffy

Songster
10 Years
Sep 3, 2009
Jersey, GB
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

2 of my chooks have been sneezing and had runny poo.
They have been on antibiotics for 7 days and have shown some improvement...
Vet says they can have up to 10 days. Says it is chronic, infectious sinusitis:(
sad.png
sad.png
And if they are not a lot better by then, I'll have to cull them because they will carry on re-infecting the rest of the flock!!!!!
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

But Abby is my lovely little golden laced wyandotte bantie. She is the one who comes running whe she hears me open the kitchen door. She is the one who will clamber onto my lap if I have goodies. She is the one who will try new things....She is my all time favourite!!!!
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

Abby
40490_21092009123.jpg

I love Marjorie Marans too - She is the scaredy one who runs away when I come outside, but even she will eat out of my hand every day:(
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

Marjerie Marans
40490_01102009226.jpg

Am Really BUMMED!!!!!
sad.png
sad.png

Well if these chickens have been with the the others then they have already infected them. The others will probably come down with the same thing in a matter of time. If it were me I would just treat them all with the antibiotics. I would not be culling Marjerie or that cute Abby. If your not a totally closed coop then it might happen again with other chickens. Hope they get over it real quick!

Hi
smile.png

Thanx for your kind thoughts!!!

We are on ORNICURE which is Doxycycline, and goes in the water for all the birds.

Vet says the other birds prob have the bug but these 2 are showing sympyoms as they are the ones that had to be chased and caught at one point or another
sad.png
In other words brought on by stress
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

I think there may be some improvement today. And I am not just saying that because I want it so much!!!
roll.png

Can't put them in a garage, as my garage was converted to stables (My car lives outside so my horse can live in the lap of luxury
wink.png
)

If these were the kind of birds that live totally free range around a farm, say, and only came running when someone openend the feed bin, noone wouuld even know there was a problem...But maybe I would have loads of short- lived chooks that were basically unhealthy...
hmm.png

D.gif
UPDATE
D.gif
UPDATE
D.gif

big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
We are all going to be ok
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Poo is almost normal today and I only heard one small splutter while I was mucking out!!!
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Thanks you all for your kind thoughts and support !!!
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Do antibiotics actually work? Or is it better to let them overcome the illness on their own?

I think it depends on the illness and having the right antibiotic for the illness. I recently had 2 hens with wet pox, treated them with Tylan-50 injections for 5 days and they are fine now. I read horrible things about wet pox. I don't think my girls would have made it had I not come out with guns blastin'!​

I think in our case it has been a combination of things:

-Antibiotics

-Lots of High quality food: veggies and good fish

-Change of bedding in the hen house (They are now on the expensive dust-free stuff that my horse is not allowed!)

-TLC

-A certain amount of denial
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom