miss_jayne,,I'm making meringue kisses!

ScoobyRoo

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 21, 2008
Land of OZ
Years ago my Grandmother (whom is 98 and doing great) use to make us grand kids meringues. Since moving to independent living the recipe got lost. All she could remember was what went into it but not the proportions. I found a recipe that works but it says to bake (oven turned off at that time) for 5 hrs! Grandma says that is longer than she remembers. The recipe I found searching has

2 egg whites 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cr. of tartar 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 pinch of salt 4 oz chocolate chips

If you make these, do you have a version?

I think the bake time can be adjusted if you make smaller kisses. Really big ones would probably take 5 hours. Tiny ones would still take a while but not as long.

I
love.gif
meringues so much that I need to
duc.gif

Henry'schickens :

Years ago my Grandmother (whom is 98 and doing great) use to make us grand kids meringues. Since moving to independent living the recipe got lost. All she could remember was what went into it but not the proportions. I found a recipe that works but it says to bake (oven turned off at that time) for 5 hrs! Grandma says that is longer than she remembers. The recipe I found searching has

2 egg whites 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cr. of tartar 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 pinch of salt 4 oz chocolate chips

If you make these, do you have a version?

that recipe will be EXCELLENT! the cream of tartar will stabilize the egg whites for strength.

leave them in the oven just as directed. it is crucial. if you don't you'll have a big old mess.

make sure to use the best vanilla you can afford. imitation vanilla is made of tree bark. and it tastes like it too.

um, i expect a full report with pictures, you know!
bun.gif

These are good.

Snow Caps
3 egg whites, room temperature
1/4 t cream of tartar
3/4 c sugar
1/2 t vanilla extract
1 c (6 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
4 oz white chocolate, grated

Preheat oven to 200F. Line baking sheets with plain ungreased parchment paper. Combine egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl of electric mixer. Beat at highest speed until mixture is just frothy. Add sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until stiff peaks form. Add vanilla; beat one minute. Fold in chocolate chips. Drop mixture onto prepared baking sheets. Bake 2 hours or til meringues are thoroughly dry to touch but not browned, rotating baking sheets halfway during baking. Turn off heat and leave in closed oven 3 to 4 hours or til completel dry. Remove from oven and cool completely. Carefully remove meringues from paper.

Bring water in bottom of double boiler to a boil; turn off heat. Place white chocolate in top of double boiler; place over hot water. Stir constantly until chocolate melts. Dip top of each meringue into melted chocolate. Place on waxed paper to dry. Store at room temperature in a tightly covered container.

Makes about 6 dozen cookies

You can leave out the chocolates if you want.

miss_jayne they were soooooo good! They tasted just like grandma's!
clap.gif
My kids have never had them before and they loved them too!
droolin.gif
They are all gone!
I'm sorry, I'm not educated enough to know how to get the pics here on the forum. Please forgive me. Maybe one of my DD's can do it for me. We are making another batch today. We'll get pics and try to send it.

Henry'schickens :

miss_jayne they were soooooo good! They tasted just like grandma's!
clap.gif
My kids have never had them before and they loved them too!
droolin.gif
They are all gone!
I'm sorry, I'm not educated enough to know how to get the pics here on the forum. Please forgive me. Maybe one of my DD's can do it for me. We are making another batch today. We'll get pics and try to send it.

i never saw this ending post! so happy for you! aren't they a neat texture? so fun!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom