Misses Turkey Bird?

MamaBird89

Chirping
May 29, 2020
So I bought this beautiful girl from my local flea market about a month ago. She has put on a lot of weight since, but she still looks so raggedy. I was told her feathers are molting. I’m not even sure what breed she is. Does anyone think they know what she may be? And is her lose of feathers normal?
Also excuse Caroline, she’s a bit of a diva who enjoys photobombing her siblings😂

Attachments

• 55AF927B-AB77-4115-8717-B761CB7F4E5B.jpeg
    55AF927B-AB77-4115-8717-B761CB7F4E5B.jpeg
    578.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 7C7EEA8C-1C94-4850-AB28-DF22D7BD02E0.jpeg
    7C7EEA8C-1C94-4850-AB28-DF22D7BD02E0.jpeg
    784.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 3C7F9C39-3010-4F75-A7D9-7A055A55E531.jpeg
    3C7F9C39-3010-4F75-A7D9-7A055A55E531.jpeg
    808.2 KB · Views: 9
So I bought this beautiful girl from my local flea market about a month ago. She has put on a lot of weight since, but she still looks so raggedy. I was told her feathers are molting. I’m not even sure what breed she is. Does anyone think they know what she may be? And is her lose of feathers normal?
Also excuse Caroline, she’s a bit of a diva who enjoys photobombing her siblings😂
The breed is Turkey. She appears to be a mixed variety that will not breed true. My guess is that she is a Bronze Semi-Color Semi-Gray.

She is molting and molting is natural for all birds. Some go through a hard molt such as yours and other go through a soft molt by losing a few feathers at a time.

The breed is Turkey. She appears to be a mixed variety that will not breed true. My guess is that she is a Bronze Semi-Color Semi-Gray.

She is molting and molting is natural for all birds. Some go through a hard molt such as yours and other go through a soft molt by losing a few feathers at a time.
I knew she was a turkey silly! I just didn’t know what kind. She is my first turkey. She looked so pitiful in a cage with no food or water at the flea market. Couldn’t resist taking her home! The people I bought her from looked as if they didn’t really care for her. Very roughly handled her. Pulled out so many more feathers trying to get her out of the tiny cage she was in. I realized when I got home that she did not have to be handled in that manner, she’s a very calm sweet girl, even when I clipped her wings. I believe she was caged up her whole life, she was so very scared when she got to free range for the first time. She has yet to lay, and when I got her they told me she had hatched some babies a few weeks back. Ignore the mess but we are currently building her an enclosure of her own separate from my other birds in hopes of getting her a fancy Tom turkey. Regardless of her type of turkey, she’s a special one to me, as she is my first. I don’t breed them or use them as show birds or meat. I bought all my babies in hopes of loving them until they die of old age. You could send the ugliest bird to my house and I’d still love it like it was a million dollar bird😂

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
I meant sex link* or type I guess. I’m new to the bird talk. I’ve had my babies for almost a year now. Actually so new that the other night was my first slaughter due to medical issues 🥺 it’s all new to me, I tell ya this website has saved me so many times!

Thanks guys! I don’t know much either, as she is my first but I want the best for her! Them and the kids are the key to my heart.🙄🥰

Back
Top Bottom