1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

missin' chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gypsyfarm123, Jan 30, 2012.

1. gypsyfarm123

gypsyfarm123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    south jersey
    Hello all, I let my flock out for the first time yesterday (they free-range,but the area is fenced in,about 100x100,and they sleep in their coop at night). Well, yesterday I decided to let them out of the gate and roam around the rest of the yard (5acres of woods) I watched them throughout the day and for the most part,they stayed in the front yard with the rooster. I thought they all made it back to the coop when I locked the gate,but when I got up this morning I noticed one of my hens was gone! Do they normally stray away from the rooster? I've searched everywhere...should I expect the worse?

2. thumper29a

thumper29a Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    mine always come back so if it aint back by the end of day yeah id say something got it

3. twisted troy

twisted troy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2010
    It's pretty early to say, i've had hens that decided to chase some little snack and got a little far from home when it got dark. They just shut down at dark......it's kinda wierd. lol Hopefully it'll turn up tomorrow.

4. gypsyfarm123

gypsyfarm123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    south jersey
    She came back sometime yesterday. I just propped the gate open in the morning and she made her way back,thankfully. I think she slept in the recycle can, cause I found an egg right on top lol
    Dumb bird :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by