missin' chicken

gypsyfarm123

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
south jersey
Hello all, I let my flock out for the first time yesterday (they free-range,but the area is fenced in,about 100x100,and they sleep in their coop at night). Well, yesterday I decided to let them out of the gate and roam around the rest of the yard (5acres of woods) I watched them throughout the day and for the most part,they stayed in the front yard with the rooster. I thought they all made it back to the coop when I locked the gate,but when I got up this morning I noticed one of my hens was gone! Do they normally stray away from the rooster? I've searched everywhere...should I expect the worse?

It's pretty early to say, i've had hens that decided to chase some little snack and got a little far from home when it got dark. They just shut down at dark......it's kinda wierd. lol Hopefully it'll turn up tomorrow.

She came back sometime yesterday. I just propped the gate open in the morning and she made her way back,thankfully. I think she slept in the recycle can, cause I found an egg right on top lol
Dumb bird :p

Back
Top Bottom