Missing birds

SandraMort

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
ny
This morning, I went into the barn and the stall didn't look as crowded as it ought to, so dh and I did another head count. Mind you, we're still getting approximate numbers, as our counting skills leave something to be desired, but it seems we're down at least 5 and maybe as many as 10 birds. Now our numbers are "77ish", down from the original 100ish (never counted).

We looked and found a hole in the wall way high up, maybe seven or eight feet up, patched it right away. Dh doesn't believe me that a pred could get through there, but couldn't come up with an alternate suggestion either. He seems convinced they're "lost" somehow.

Not sure what to do now if they keep vanishing!

Edit: The gap was 1.5 or 2 feet long but only a few inches tall.

Edit: The stall has a cement floor, no way to tunnel.

Edit: In case anyone notices another drop, I'm bringing somebody 10 this evening. That's bringing me down to 67ish, which seems much less crowded than it was a few days ago!

Edit: I'm waiting to see what happens, but if they're continuing to vanish, it may just be easier to build a coop in a stall, rather than repair the stall. The barn is more full of holes than swiss cheese. Maybe a box with four sides and a roof, no bottom and a way to lift it off the ground to clean under?

Last edited:
Could a mink go that high? Could a raccoon squish that thin? In either case, that hole is now covered, both by plastic mesh and boards. HOPING that solves it...

Have you looked around outside?

A raccoon will carry the birds off and eat them, but there should be some evidence like a feather trail. It will not be very easy to find but once you start looking and do find a feather, you'll start seeing the rest. Follow the trail, look under bushes, you'll find the remains.

If your barn isn't too far from your house, you can get a baby monitor and put it out there and keep the receiver by your bedside. If something is getting them you should be able to hear the birds getting aggitated.

Yeah, it's too far for that
sad.png

How old are these birds? Here is a few things that will eat your fowl.........., rats, snakes, weasels, possums, raccoons, cats, dogs, foxes, coyotes, hawks, owls, fishers, mink, bobcats...and so on.... it doesn't take much of a gap for the smaller preds to squeeze in and belly up to the buffet....

Back
Top Bottom