Missing chicken and loud bang on coop

NicInNC

Crowing
15 Years
Jun 23, 2008
North Carolina
Would a hawk cause this kind of noise on my coop? We had a hawk hanging around last week and now the chicken off to the right is missing. I don't see her on anymore security videos after this one. No feathers are anywhere to be found and nothing seems out of the ordinary. Something hit the roof of the coop and scared them though.

https://file.io/xnKuLzo5Iwce

Last edited:
Sound I think from your birds impacting coop. Their response retreating to cover is one I expect when a raptor is seen flying close and in the direction of the birds. Two birds staying out in open did appear to be looking at something that they did not treat as a major threat. They could have been mistaken.

Darker hen staying in open appeared to be holding her ground while lighter hen was not nor going for cover. Hawks in my experience typically pass up chickens holding their ground if other options available.

If hawk or owl, then there will be feathers if you look harder.

She's safe! She was pecking around in the front yard this morning! ❤️

Attachments

• 43E58F53-DCBC-47AF-BA79-88897FDC77CF.jpeg
    43E58F53-DCBC-47AF-BA79-88897FDC77CF.jpeg
    477.7 KB · Views: 2
Sound I think from your birds impacting coop. Their response retreating to cover is one I expect when a raptor is seen flying close and in the direction of the birds. Two birds staying out in open did appear to be looking at something that they did not treat as a major threat. They could have been mistaken.

Darker hen staying in open appeared to be holding her ground while lighter hen was not nor going for cover. Hawks in my experience typically pass up chickens holding their ground if other options available.

If hawk or owl, then there will be feathers if you look harder.
The darker hen is at least 10 years old and moves around at a slow pace not phased by much. The other one is one that I rescued and she stands at our door staring into the house most of the day. Lol! She's the one that went missing, so when we didn't see her on our porch and couldn't find her I thought she had gotten eaten.

Back
Top Bottom