Missing Chicken Up Date

pirtykitty

Songster
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Waco, Texas
went to moives this after noon with sister in law and her grand daughter and then to the fair to roam around for a few hours.. got home about 7:30. I went out to put ducks up and then close to dark to put chickens up.. I couldn't find the gold one.. the two red ones put themselves up as usual.. as far as I know they were all there here when I left.. hubby said he didn't have gate open while I was gone..

We did leave earlier this morning for about an hour and I had to shoo the two red ones back while hubby backed truck up to get out of gate.. and I think all three were still in back yard when we returned ... I'm thinking we would of seen the gold one backing out after I shut gate if she had walked out...
If she did get out this morning when I opened the gate for hubby to back out.. what are the odds of her finding her way back home in the morning????

Did not see any sign that predator got her..

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear one is missing. I'm inclined to worry if one hasn't put herself to bed. With the exception of a couple who were killed by a dog, my hens have always returned to the coop.

I did have a roo who decided he'd rather roost on top of the run for a while. I hope that's the case with your girl- she thinks she found a better spot and will show up tomorrow.
fl.gif

maybe she just got scared by something and is in hiding, sometimes when they are scared they will just sit very still in one place for hours. Hopefully she will turn up safe and sound in the morning.
hugs.gif

I'm hoping she is hiding.. we checked all over the back yard. we have 6 foot privacy fence and taller in some places.. I'm thinking also if she got out the gate without us seeing her we would of had a knock on door some time during the day...
we looked under storage shed, and in small garage.. did not look under deck though..
fingers crossed she shows up.

I really hope she turns up for you tomorrow. If yours are like mine, they are pets more than livestock.

a 6 foot fence is easy enough for them to fly over. Mine roost on top of their run which is 6ft all the time. A real pain in the booty to get them down, since I'm only 5'1.

Ask around and don't be surprised if you see her come wandering back today. When something scares them, they tend to go quiet for a while and they're pretty darn good hiders!

Good luck!

no sign of her this morning but then it's been raining non stop since about 2 this morning... I clipped all three "s wings back in June or July... one on each chicken... They are 7 months old.. Hopefully someone didn't see her and take her two blocks over to people that way that have chickens. and she'll come back after it stops raining... I'd feel really silly going up and down the street calling Chick Chick Chick or " Bertha" but may have to give it a try a little later..

I'm 5 ft 3 .. the fence may even be 7 foot. I'll have to check with hubby I know our part of it is really tall...

I went out just a little while ago after it stopped raining and happened to look towards a bush by the deck and went and looked and she was there but she was dead.. like she was there resting and just went to sleep.. She has been eating and laying eggs along with the other two.. since they were sharing the nesting boxes not sure who is laying the occasional tiny eggs.. they have been laying since July I think.. eggs have been getting a little bigger ...
She was my New Hampshire red." Bertha" . I still have the two rhode island reds..

every one's poo has looked normal.. don't know what she could of gotten into either..

Thank you everyone for you help ... I appreciate it..

Back
Top Bottom