Missing chickens mystery

Couldn't it be a person? I don't think it's too likey but why would the cam just turn off by itself?
This was my first thought to. I've had SO many predator attacks in my learning curb before BYC. I can't imagine that one predator would take so many birds, leave no trace, be so quick and precise, then not come back the next night?

This was my first thought to. I've had SO many predator attacks in my learning curb before BYC. I can't imagine that one predator would take so many birds, leave no trace, be so quick and precise, then not come back the next night?
A similar disappearance in Texas winded up being coyotes. The guy found no feathers in the coop in the barn every last one of them gone.Steel door was bent and latch gave and the chickens carcasses were found in a nearby field with coyote tracks all around them.Feathers everywhere where they ate them.My guess is the chicken were so terrified they fell into a hypnotic state and let the coyotes grab them.This would ex[lain why there were gone without a trace

I went out and searched the field and pasture today. No feathers or bodies. The way the wire was bent in I think a fox or coyote. I have seen both on my cameras recently. I did put 1x2" welded wire on most of the gates. I'll finish that tomorrow and string some more electric wires. I just went out and checked on the birds. So far everything is ok.

I know it happens but I haven't had any losses for quite a long time. I'm not the average backyard chicken owner. Currently I have around 400 birds minus 10 now. I started keeping chickens around 50 years ago and over the years have had many lessons learned the hard way. This is another lesson.

Back
Top Bottom