missing chickens

Where is she now? You need to locate her nest site if she is in fact broody. If you do not have a rooster, then they will not hatch so no loss by simply breaking her broody cycle. Pen her up to get her away from the nest site where she is very vulnerable. If she stays broody when moved, then consider getting her a chick.

i turned my back for one second to let the dogs inside to leave her alone and she ran off again. im not sure where to find her nest, if she comes home again i'm going to lock her up and see if the broodyness goes away. is there a way to call her home

PS my dogs are friendly and don't go after the chickens but since Penelope hasn't been around lately the dogs wanted to smell her and she'd try attacking them

You might be able to call her off nest if you do it at the correct time, such as when she is already to get off normally. She is going to be coming off everyday at about same time until chicks pipping, Set yourself up tomorrow about 1 hour earlier in the day and make so she can hear and possibly hear you. She might come off then. Watch for direction she emerges from as she will come nearly a straight line from the nest. Allow her to fill crop and get water, then follow her from a distance. She may be sneaky while slinking back to nest.

Back
Top Bottom