Missing Chickens

Bschaut

Hatching
Jun 24, 2022
I went to my chicken coop this morning to feed them. I had 5 - 3 month old's. Three were completely missing and one outside the pen with its stomach ripped open. I had wire around the base of the coop and pheasant netting over the top. Something came in and put a six inch round hole through the top of the netting got in took three chickens out and left one outside the door. The only thing that I can see is it had to go back out through the hole which is about 4 feet above the ground. What could it be and why didn't get caught in the netting trying to get out?

I went to my chicken coop this morning to feed them. I had 5 - 3 month old's. Three were completely missing and one outside the pen with its stomach ripped open. I had wire around the base of the coop and pheasant netting over the top. Something came in and put a six inch round hole through the top of the netting got in took three chickens out and left one outside the door. The only thing that I can see is it had to go back out through the hole which is about 4 feet above the ground. What could it be and why didn't get caught in the netting trying to get out?
Post pictures of your setup. A raccoon sounds like a likely culprit.

I've seen raccoons climb over 8-ft chain link fence, and know they can rip through netting or chicken wire pretty easily. So sorry for your loss!

Would you say they would also take the whole (3) chicken out with them? I will send some pics of the temp coop I have but not till tonight.

Back
Top Bottom