missing chickens

Okay, so they know the coop is home and they're free ranged before so they know how to get home. I still say you shouldn't loose hope till after dark. Especially if you haven't found any signs of struggle. I've lost four birds to attack and there was either an entire carcass left or at least quite a pile of feathers.

Once my flock was scared by a predator and the rooster took them off and hid them far away from their usual range. They wouldn't come out when my husband called but did come when I went and gave their "treat" call.

Walk around calling for them now...check in trees at dark...don't lose hope yet. Once I bought a new hen and she disappeared for over 2 weeks before suddenly returning!

my rooster is very protective, i cant get anywhere near the hens without him charging me

there still not here :(, the one hen is still making alot of noise and its been dark outside for half an hour so i closed the door.....

I taught my girls to come when I call them, seriously LOL, I gave them a treat every time I called them " wheres my girls wheres my girls in a high pitched voice. to this day, as soon as I say this they come running like they were shot out of a canon. I have also taught them to go to there pen with a shaking of a medicine bottle and a few kernnels of corn it it. just so I can get them in before hail or danger comes. there smart and can be trained. :) hope they come back home hon.

I'm so sorry. I was really hoping you'd post that they'd come home. Well, I guess keep searching until you get some answers. I think there'd have to be some signs of struggle if a predator took them (I've never heard of a predator that doesn't at least leave some feathers--correct me if I'm wrong, anyone out there who knows). And, especially if three are missing it'd have to be a pack of at least three predators who could snatch and take really smoothly...I'm doubtful if you never see any signs.

Ask around the neighborhood. Strange things have happened with people adopting animals they think are strays. Remember I had a hen that moved into an abandoned barn on my neighbor's property (he didn't care and never bothered to tell me till she came home) and then moved back 2 weeks later.

Good luck.

Don't lose hope! Our dogs escaped their run and scared the bejezus out of our flock. One of our leghorns disappeared. We searched all day and never found her. The next morning she was still gone. We knew the dogs didn't get her, so we assumed she ran into the woods and a predator got her.

But lo and behold, 26 hours later I look up and she's back with the flock! Ranging away like she had never been gone, lol. The dogs scared her into the woods and she just sat tight overnight and the next day waited until we let the chickens out to free range. When they got close enough to her hiding spot, she jumped back in.

Crossing fingers that yours are just hiding out :(

well they were moulting so there are feathers everywhere anyway....still nothing, its been close to 2 full days

Back
Top Bottom