Missing Chicks

athenaz317

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 17, 2014
Chino Valley, AZ
We are new to chickens this year, and have about 50 chicks. The coop is very secure, so that I am sure no predator larger than a rat or a snake could get in or out during the day, and nothing at all at night, but several of our chicks have gone missing, including some that are over 6 weeks old, so too big to have escaped. We did find a few decapitated chicks last week, so we assumed it was a rat after reading several predator threads on BYC, and we put out poison and haven't lost any more since then. Could rats have removed whole, large chicks without a trace???

Sorry for your losses. When you say larger chicks, how large are you talking?? A full grown adult rat can be quite large - they are strong & determined and will take young birds. Also, snakes can eat whole chicks without too much effort and can squeeze through a small hole.
Check your coop inch by inch and barricade any holes/cracks that you find bigger than 1/2 inch. You would be surprised how small an entrance is needed for these predators to sneak in. Good luck with your chicks,
smile.png

We are new to chickens this year, and have about 50 chicks.  The coop is very secure, so that I am sure no predator larger than a rat or a snake could get in or out during the day, and nothing at all at night, but several of our chicks have gone missing, including some that are over 6 weeks old, so too big to have escaped.  We did find a few decapitated chicks last week, so we assumed it was a rat after reading several predator threads on BYC, and we put out poison and haven't lost any more since then. Could rats have removed whole, large chicks without a trace???

:welcome
Yes rats will take a chick. Be very careful about laying poison. I recently had a guy buy chickens from me because he had accidentally poisoned his entire flock of 10 birds.
Depending on the poison , some will make the rat thirsty and a poisoned dead rat in or around your waterers spells TROUBLE . Also be sure to dispose of any dead rats before the chickens attempt to feast on them.

Thank you for your replies & welcome.
Our chicks are almost as large as some of our full-grown hens, probably about 3-4 lbs. although I haven't weighed them.
There is an opening at the top, and I am wondering if rats could climb over chicken wire? It's about 6 feet high, hard to imagine a rat climbing that but I guess we will have to extend it all the way to the ceiling.
We went with poison because we read that traps were ineffective. So far it's been over a week and we haven't seen any sign of dead rats, which I believe had just started living under the coop, but we haven't lost any more chicks either . . .

Last edited:
Weasels can get thru chicken wire.
Depending on the poison , rats can crawl back in their nest and die....you might smell them before you see them if they are living under the coop.

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies & welcome.  
Our chicks are almost as large as some of our full-grown hens, probably about 3-4 lbs. although I haven't weighed them.
There is an opening at the top, and I am wondering if rats could climb over chicken wire?  It's about 6 feet high, hard to imagine a rat climbing that but I guess we will have to extend it all the way to the ceiling.
We went with poison because we read that traps were ineffective.  So far it's been over a week and we haven't seen any sign of dead rats, which I believe had just started living under the coop, but we haven't lost any more chicks either . . .

Your welcome . When I go out to my pens at night the rats are runnining along the rafters 7ft above my head. They burrow under the nesting boxes and raise their young there. I cannot leave any food out at night. They are cunning though , they know not to come out during the day. Chooks love rodent for lunch!

weasles can go through a 2 inch hole and usually leave the body behind they chew a hole in the chickens rear end and eat the insides of the chicken and then leave the rest behind
sounds like a snake killed youre missing chicks or a hawk would do the same thing if there out side

Stuff any holes and openings full of steel wool, mice and rats won't chew through it to get in. Also check out the 5 GALLON BUCKET TRAP on you tube. You can make a rat version if the trap from a 55 gallon barrel. Sorry about your losses

Back
Top Bottom