missing eggs and chicks

Danielchicken

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 27, 2014
Fort Worth, TX
Last night momma hen a all 4 chicks went to bed i even counted the little fluff butts. I also had a broody hen with 5 eggs under her and this morning when i went outside to check on them there was only one egg under the her, and two fluff butts left. There is no remains of baby chick or egg in the coop or yard. I had locked the coop door and the only thing i think could get in and leave not a clue would be a snake.

Last night momma hen a all 4 chicks went to bed i even counted the little fluff butts. I also had a broody hen with 5 eggs under her and this morning when i went outside to check on them there was only one egg under the her, and two fluff butts left. There is no remains of baby chick or egg in the coop or yard. I had locked the coop door and the only thing i think could get in and leave not a clue would be a snake.

If a snake can make entry, there are other predators who can as well, without leaving a sign - folks often underestimate the types of predators that can make their way through certain openings, etc. and overestimate the types of indications they would see from them doing so.
Can you tell us a bit more about your coop and run (better still, post photos) so we can get a better idea of the sort of potential areas your predator could have used and get an idea of what could be the culprit? Were there any tracks within 50 yards of your coop/run, any new scat in the general area, any odd smells?

The coop is made up of fence doors (if that makes any sence) i dont have a pic of the whole coop but here is a pic to give youban idea.

So, the run (pen) is made of chain link panels? Is the top covered? What is the actual coop (building) construction? Do you close off the coop by shutting the chicken door at night or is it open to the run 24/7?

While I'm still not sure I really understand the logistics of your setup, just from what I can see and you are describing there are several predators who can access such an enclosure and leave nary a sign they were ever there. If you get the chance to take a photo of the whole thing it would really help us be able to explain to you what could breach your security and where you can make changes that would protect against the next visit. Unfortunately, once a predator has sampled your flock if you don't make changes to shore up where they made entry your flock becomes an all-you-can-eat buffet that the predator returns to until all the birds are gone.

Back
Top Bottom