Missing eggs??

snakelife

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
So about a week ago I blocked my broody off from all the other chickens in the coop since the eggs are due to hatch Sunday. Today I went out there and pushed her off the nest for the first time when I noticed a nasty smell. Turns out an egg broke and was coating the underside of her and it STANK. I think it was rotten due to the smell and the fact it had leaked through the hay and was gunky and smelly. but then I noticed that she now has 14 eggs intead of the 17 she had when I blocked her off from the other hens. Whats going on!? Is she eatting eggs? I haven't noticed any evidence till now and im praying that a few babies hatch out by Sunday. Has anybody ever had a broody eat eggs before? she has no history of eatting eggs prior to this. Ive also noticed egg shells from a blue egg floating aroung in the area of the coop where she is blocked off which worries me too. Is it possible eggs are hatching and shes eatting newborns?

Any thing is possible. Did she have a staggered hatch, or were they all set on the same day? Sometimes, hens will eat the dead eggs. Other times, their wiring is messed up, and they eat the ones that start moving and showing signs of life. Too bad you didn't have a game cam that you could focus on her.

I'll call my boyfriend tonight and see if he has one laying around to set up on her. I put the duck eggs under her about 3 days beofre the chicken eggs which wasnt a good idea but she has all 5 of the original duck eggs so thats not the problem. Ill see what i can do about a game cam.

Back
Top Bottom