Hollymay

Chirping
Feb 10, 2020
Hi all! Just woke up to find my girl looking like this! Is she missing an eye? I’m so upset I feel so awful. She’s seems fine otherwise, eating, drinking, running around. I have separated her from the others but am worried this will stress her out as she has two buddies she has a strong bond with and hangs out with. I also put iodine on it. What else should i do? Get to the vet?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9021.jpeg
    IMG_9021.jpeg
    370.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9019.jpeg
    IMG_9019.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9037.jpeg
    IMG_9037.jpeg
    306.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9028.jpeg
    IMG_9028.jpeg
    336.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9024.jpeg
    IMG_9024.jpeg
    399.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9022.jpeg
    IMG_9022.jpeg
    359.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9020.jpeg
    IMG_9020.jpeg
    352.1 KB · Views: 8
How does the other eye look? She may have been pecked in the eye, or she may have signs of a respiratory infection. I would use a warm wet washcloth as a compress on her eye while holding her for a few minutes to soften any crusty drainage. Have some saline or eye wash and QTips available, and some Terramycin or or plain Neosporin ointment. Try pressing around the eye once it is open, and express some pus if you can. Look for any bubbles or pus in the eye. Flush it with saline and apply the ointment into the eye twice a day.

How does the other eye look? She may have been pecked in the eye, or she may have signs of a respiratory infection. I would use a warm wet washcloth as a compress on her eye while holding her for a few minutes to soften any crusty drainage. Have some saline or eye wash and QTips available, and some Terramycin or or plain Neosporin ointment. Try pressing around the eye once it is open, and express some pus if you can. Look for any bubbles or pus in the eye. Flush it with saline and apply the ointment into the eye twice a day.
Other eye is totally fine. Thank you so so much, I will give that a go!

Let us know if you get get the eye open and the gunk out. Here is a video on expressing puss from around the eye:

This is how she’s looking today. I’ve got an appointment for the vet tomorrow but really worried about expressing it myself incase I hurt her or do more damage.

Attachments

• IMG_9091.jpeg
    IMG_9091.jpeg
    277.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9090.jpeg
    IMG_9090.jpeg
    245.9 KB · Views: 5
Can you see the eyeball inside if you separate the eyelids? Sometimes the eye can be punctured or may be taken over by infection. Has the warm wet compress helped to get the eye open? Let us know what the vet says.

Can you see the eyeball inside if you separate the eyelids? Sometimes the eye can be punctured or may be taken over by infection. Has the warm wet compress helped to get the eye open? Let us know what the vet says.
I think it was taken over by infection. The vet and I tried swiping off the puss but it wasn’t budging. She’s off for surgery today to probably remove the eye and sew it up. $800 later 😅 but she’s my responsibility and she’s so young I just can’t give up on her! She’s been loving hanging out in the house though 💕

Attachments

• IMG_9155.jpeg
    IMG_9155.jpeg
    439.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9132.jpeg
    IMG_9132.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9148.jpeg
    IMG_9148.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 2
I think it was taken over by infection. The vet and I tried swiping off the puss but it wasn’t budging. She’s off for surgery today to probably remove the eye and sew it up. $800 later 😅 but she’s my responsibility and she’s so young I just can’t give up on her! She’s been loving hanging out in the house though 💕
Hi all! Just woke up to find my girl looking like this! Is she missing an eye? I’m so upset I feel so awful. She’s seems fine otherwise, eating, drinking, running around. I have separated her from the others but am worried this will stress her out as she has two buddies she has a strong bond with and hangs out with. I also put iodine on it. What else should i do? Get to the vet?
Thanks!
UPDATE: was an infection due to trauma of the eye. She’s had it taken out and sewn up. She’s doing really well and loving the indoor life. 💕

Attachments

• IMG_9100.jpeg
    IMG_9100.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9143.jpeg
    IMG_9143.jpeg
    325.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9155.jpeg
    IMG_9155.jpeg
    439.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9162.jpeg
    IMG_9162.jpeg