missing feathers and bleeding

jyphotog

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
Some of my quail are bleeding and missing feathers from their heads. I am certain this is from fighting. I have no other pen to put them in. Should I just eat them? That sounds crazy, haha.

Lost for what to do here. I honestly thought some of them were female quail, but I guess I better look into that more.

I have only been following this forum and raising quail for about a month now but with the info I have collected, during breeding season the males apparently peck the females heads just like a rooster pecking the saddle of a chicken. Maybe you have too many males or a single overly aggressive male? Maybe try separating the injured birds from the others until you find out how many males you have for sure? Others, please correct me if I am wrong?

i had quail for a while, buttons and coturnix. There was a lot of head-pecking, but not just male to female. There was male to male, and female to female pecking, too. For being so teeny, they can be ferocious little buggers.

Soon enough I will be dealing with the madness, i'm sure. My Coturnix just turned 6 weeks and I can't wait for them to start laying!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom