1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

missing feathers and bleeding

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jyphotog, Sep 7, 2011.

1. jyphotog

jyphotog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    Some of my quail are bleeding and missing feathers from their heads. I am certain this is from fighting. I have no other pen to put them in. Should I just eat them? That sounds crazy, haha.

Lost for what to do here. I honestly thought some of them were female quail, but I guess I better look into that more.

2. Eyeheartquail

Eyeheartquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    I have only been following this forum and raising quail for about a month now but with the info I have collected, during breeding season the males apparently peck the females heads just like a rooster pecking the saddle of a chicken. Maybe you have too many males or a single overly aggressive male? Maybe try separating the injured birds from the others until you find out how many males you have for sure? Others, please correct me if I am wrong?

3. jyphotog

jyphotog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    That is what I was thinking. They go hard after the females!

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i had quail for a while, buttons and coturnix. There was a lot of head-pecking, but not just male to female. There was male to male, and female to female pecking, too. For being so teeny, they can be ferocious little buggers.

5. Eyeheartquail

Eyeheartquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Soon enough I will be dealing with the madness, i'm sure. My Coturnix just turned 6 weeks and I can't wait for them to start laying! [​IMG]

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i just loved the cute little coturnix eggs. They were great for pickling.

7. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Mine too [​IMG] But my males seem to already be doing their Mojo with the ladies.... But The Hens aren't ready to Lay yet.... 3 more weeks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by