Missing feathers and not laying

How old is she? Younger birds can still molt, which is what it looks like, as she has a good collection of pin feathers coming in. Are there other bare patches on her? (Edit: Just saw your other post, is the one in the snow the most recent? I saw some smaller bare looking areas on her back and maybe near the belly too.)

No need to separate her or do anything specific, though a higher protein diet can help with feather growth.

How old is she? Younger birds can still molt, which is what it looks like, as she has a good collection of pin feathers coming in. Are there other bare patches on her? (Edit: Just saw your other post, is the one in the snow the most recent? I saw some smaller bare looking areas on her back and maybe near the belly too.)

No need to separate her or do anything specific, though a higher protein diet can help with feather growth.
Yes the pic in the snow is yesterday. The bare neck photos are from today.

She’s 9-10 months. I had read that molting didn’t happen until their second year. I’d be glad if it was just something that simple TBH.
Adult molts usually happen somewhere around 18 months or so (especially if you're talking about Spring babies) however as a chicken grows up there's a number of softer juvenile molts (where chicks transition into adult plumage), and yes on top of that sometimes younger birds can have an adult molt as well. I wouldn't say it's that common, I've not had it happen with my birds, so she may be the only one in your flock that does it.

Back
Top Bottom