Missing feathers for months!

In the absence of a rooster there's usually one that steps up and assumes the role of the rooster. But if doesn't explain why the gentle hens are also missing feathers.The ones with the least and most feather loss appear in the last photo.

I had some birds that looked very similar to the ones in the pictures. When I checked them during the day I didn't see anything on them but when I check them after they roosted they were loaded with mites. I'm not saying that's what it is but I would still check. Again, good luck...

In the absence of a rooster there's usually one that steps up and assumes the role of the rooster. But if doesn't explain why the gentle hens are also missing feathers.The ones with the least and most feather loss appear in the last photo.
Yes the last photo is of my most aggressive hen. I’m gonna check tonight for mites, and go from there. I tried this morning but it was already too light and they were out of the coop.

I had some birds that looked very similar to the ones in the pictures. When I checked them during the day I didn't see anything on them but when I check them after they roosted they were loaded with mites. I'm not saying that's what it is but I would still check. Again, good luck...
I did check the during the day a while ago and also saw nothing so I will be doing it tonight, thank you!

Oh one more quick question, should I be worried about us humans getting these possible mites or lice? Maybe a dumb question but I have no clue!

I do use poultry dust in the nest boxes and I think it helps. There is no egg withdrawal period with permethrin so the eggs are safe to eat.
PoultryDust.jpg

Back
Top Bottom