Missing feathers for months!

BabyGotQuack

Crowing
Sep 15, 2021
Utah
Hello, I’m a new member to BYC but have been reading threads for the last couple years. I have 4 chickens (2 years old) who have been missing feathers for months! My first guess is that my drake ducks are ripping them out but can’t be sure. All my ducks are fully feathered so I didn’t think it would be lice or mites, I’ve also done DE in the coup several times. Does anyone know what this could be and how to fix? I’ll attach pics.

Attachments

• AF0012A5-D38D-464D-AEC4-FE6A6BA0607F.jpeg
    AF0012A5-D38D-464D-AEC4-FE6A6BA0607F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • 27F73581-F51A-4AF7-9E16-DE8EC29ED3A8.jpeg
    27F73581-F51A-4AF7-9E16-DE8EC29ED3A8.jpeg
    759.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 0EF9CB3C-27D3-4DEB-83E2-9E53115BB872.jpeg
    0EF9CB3C-27D3-4DEB-83E2-9E53115BB872.jpeg
    716.5 KB · Views: 16
I had some birds that looked very similar to the ones in the pictures. When I checked them during the day I didn't see anything on them but when I check them after they roosted they were loaded with mites. I'm not saying that's what it is but I would still check. Again, good luck...

It's difficult to examine the birds with a flashlight that is why I wear a head lamp so I have both of my hands free to inspect the birds. Take some paper towels out in the evening and wipe the roosts especially under them and look for streaks on the paper towels. That is usually a sign there are mites. I use the Permethrin concentrate but I have a lot of coops and when I treat one coop I treat them all. Permethrin is also available in the premix. Good luck...

Attachments

• PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 3
  • MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 2
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 3
  • GordonsHorseandSpray.jpg
    GordonsHorseandSpray.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 3
  • GallonSprayer.jpeg
    GallonSprayer.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 3
If a Rooster tried to fight a Drake it would have feather loss on its neck.
One of my hens, the one that looks the worst is very “roostery” if that’s a word haha. She’s very aggressive and will spur at me, (she has no Spurs) she’s also the one who pesters the ducks the most, that’s why I thought maybe it was the ducks fighting back cause she is far worse then the rest of my more gentle hens

In the absence of a rooster there's usually one that steps up and assumes the role of the rooster. But if doesn't explain why the gentle hens are also missing feathers.The ones with the least and most feather loss appear in the last photo.
Yes the last photo is of my most aggressive hen. I’m gonna check tonight for mites, and go from there. I tried this morning but it was already too light and they were out of the coop.

I had some birds that looked very similar to the ones in the pictures. When I checked them during the day I didn't see anything on them but when I check them after they roosted they were loaded with mites. I'm not saying that's what it is but I would still check. Again, good luck...
I did check the during the day a while ago and also saw nothing so I will be doing it tonight, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom