Missing feathers for months!

Some chickens pull their own feathers out and eat them if they have a protein deficiency but you've not witnessed this so we can rule this out .I've only kept ducks with chickens once but they got along fine unlike these.They grew up together as hatchling's. The hardest part of keeping both is providing enough clean water for the ducks to dunk their heads and having enough dry spots for the chickens to sun bathe to control mites. It can be challenging!

Some chickens pull their own feathers out and eat them if they have a protein deficiency but you've not witnessed this so we can rule this out .I've only kept ducks with chickens once but they got along fine unlike these.They grew up together as hatchling's. The hardest part of keeping both is providing enough clean water for the ducks to dunk their heads and having enough dry spots for the chickens to sun bathe to control mites. It can be challenging!
Update? Have you found out why your chickens have lost so many feathers and if you found mites? I've never had ducks pull my chickens feathers out & assumed others got along

Update? Have you found out why your chickens have lost so many feathers and if you found mites? I've never had ducks pull my chickens feathers out & assumed others got along
My chickens don’t like me coming into the coop at night with a flashlight to check them so I’m just going to treat them as if they have mites and if that doesn’t work I’ll start separating or rehoming the chickens and ducks.

My chickens don’t like me coming into the coop at night with a flashlight to check them so I’m just going to treat them as if they have mites and if that doesn’t work I’ll start separating or rehoming the chickens and ducks.
At night they feed off the chickens and become engorged with blood which makes them change from clear to red (easier to see)If you don't have a good dry place for them to sunbathe you might want to consider making one. Ducks bathe in water to control them. Best of luck I hope all turns out well for you.If your chickens and ducks weren't raised together they'll never get along...

At night they feed off the chickens and become engorged with blood which makes them change from clear to red (easier to see)If you don't have a good dry place for them to sunbathe you might want to consider making one. Ducks bathe in water to control them. Best of luck I hope all turns out well for you.If your chickens and ducks weren't raised together they'll never get along...
Thanks for your help!

At night they feed off the chickens and become engorged with blood which makes them change from clear to red (easier to see)If you don't have a good dry place for them to sunbathe you might want to consider making one. Ducks bathe in water to control them. Unfortunately unless your chickens and ducks were bought or hatched and raised together they'll never get along.Ducks have to imprint on them to accept them.

It's difficult to examine the birds with a flashlight that is why I wear a head lamp so I have both of my hands free to inspect the birds. Take some paper towels out in the evening and wipe the roosts especially under them and look for streaks on the paper towels. That is usually a sign there are mites. I use the Permethrin concentrate but I have a lot of coops and when I treat one coop I treat them all. Permethrin is also available in the premix. Good luck...

Attachments

• MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 2
  • PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 3
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg