Missing feathers -pictures included

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FoodKillah, Jul 13, 2010.

1. FoodKillah

FoodKillah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Mediterranean Sea
    Hello.

2 days ago i bought 2 chickens that were in extremely crowded chicken farm cage. Their necks have no feathers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hen above says "HELP ME BYC FORUM"

I think all the hens in that cage had missing neck feathers.

Asking the owner is not an option atm. Please comment

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. apc

apc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Chickland, Il
    It looks to be from picking, which could have happened because they were overcrowded. [​IMG] Good news is they will grow back! I bought some red stars that were in simiar conditions. I brought them home, dusted them for mites, and made sure to feed them tons of treats. [​IMG]

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    That is so sad! Poor chickens.. [​IMG]

I have heard BOSS (Black oil sunflower seeds) promote feather growth. I would try some of that for sure. Hopefully somebody else will have some suggestions.

4. FoodKillah

Jul 12, 2010
    Mediterranean Sea
    I have bought some black sunflower seeds.
    [​IMG]
    Please confirm that this is what you meant "BOSS (Black oil sunflower seeds)"

Because they dont eat it yet [​IMG]

5. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    That is exactly what I meant! Good job [​IMG]

Yeah it took my girls a while to get accustom to it. What I did was cut out all other treats so they came to learn the BOSS was in fact a treat. I wouldn't expect them to eat it right away, but that is definately BOSS. Once they realize it's good stuff they will like it, but don't be concerned if at first they are skeptics [​IMG]

6. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    Do you know what sort of run or cage they were in? I've seen chicken necks like that from pushing their heads through 2"X4" welded wire in order to pick at grass growing on the other side of the fence.

Just another idea for you to consider....

7. FoodKillah

Jul 12, 2010
    Mediterranean Sea
    Thank you Morgan7782 for your assistance, i appreciate it. i will keep trying giving them BOSS, i will also try to trick them by sticking the seeds in a watermelon slice [​IMG] i hope they bite!

Quote:Oh! I never thought of that! Well in the chicken farm, they used a chicken wire with small holes i dont think their heads fitted through the cage i bought them from. I dont know if they transported them in other cages earlier. I use a wrong type of fence and i will change it sooner now that you mentioned it can cause that. Thanks!

My chickens bow to you BYC, i already feel we are raising them together.

Any other ideas are welcome, those chickens must heal with every possible way [​IMG]

8. Gingersprite

Gingersprite Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2010
    Bethlehem, PA
    My chickens are so spoiled I give them sunflower seeds, but I buy the shelled variety (out of the black casing) which are a little more expensive but no mess and they gobble them up, in the winter it's a fatty treat, in the summer it makes them chase the geese out of the yard (their competition for the seeds). Of course I give them other treats but their main staple is layer mash, they really need the balanced nutrition of a pellet or mash feed of course.

9. billmac

billmac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Some of my chickens look like this too, and they are definitely not overcrowded. I have only seen one peck the other once, but I would like to stop the behaviour if possible. I have dusted them for mites twice and dosed them with eprinex once.

10. stairman53

stairman53 New Egg

Jun 13, 2010
    ramona
    My chickens have he sae problembut it just started recently....heat related?
    only two of the three hens have this so I'm thinking that the older one is picking at the other two?
    I had two brothers and it was the same!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by