Missing feathers - should I be concerned?

spaedergirls

Hatching
Aug 10, 2016
Greater Hartford, Conn.
We are 7 months into chicken owning and one of our girls has a missing patch of feathers at the base of her tail. This is new so I'm guessing she's being pecked at, though I haven't seen this happening. Otherwise she seems healthy. Should I be concerned? Separate her from the others? Or is this typical low-hen-on-the-totem-pole behavior? They are all about 6-8 months old.

That looks like mating damage from a rather too rampant young cockerel. If you have a cockerel then either pen him separately until his hormones settle down a bit or get/make her a chicken saddle to protect her back as if mating continues, he could gash her open with his claws or at least cause her skin to become raw..
If you definitely don't have a male in the flock then it may be pecking/feather picking and giving them more space and things to keep them occupied is often the best solution.

That looks like mating damage from a rather too rampant young cockerel. If you have a cockerel then either pen him separately until his hormones settle down a bit or get/make her a chicken saddle to protect her back as if mating continues, he could gash her open with his claws or at least cause her skin to become raw..
If you definitely don't have a male in the flock then it may be pecking/feather picking and giving them more space and things to keep them occupied is often the best solution.

Thanks! Definitely only hens so I suspect her sisters are bored. I'll give them more cabbage to peck at!

Back
Top Bottom