Missing hen, could she be sitting on a nest?

WaitingForEggs

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 31, 2014
I have two Tetra Tint hens, and one of them has been missing for the last two days. I have only been getting one tetra egg a day from my nest box, so I assumed that only one was laying. I am still getting one egg a day from the one hen I have left. There are no feathers of signs of foul play. I am thinking that she may have made a nest out in the woods that she has been laying in, and now she is sitting on it.

Is this possible? Likely? Is there a way to find her, or should I just wait for her to come back in a couple weeks (possibly with chicks?). I do have a buff orpington rooster.

Thanks!

I found the nest! Actally, my dogs found it and scared her off of it and she hasn't gotten back on it yet. Will she sit on it again? There are 15 eggs that she's been incubating about a week already, I'm very interested to see if she can hatch them.

Thanks!

If she's brooding, she should come home at least once a day to eat/drink if no other sources of nourishment?
She actually was in a very overgrown part of the yard very close to the house. I must have walked right by her a dozen times at least. I'm sure she has been wandering around the yard some during the day, but apparently I just kept missing her.

I found the nest! Actally, my dogs found it and scared her off of it and she hasn't gotten back on it yet. Will she sit on it again? There are 15 eggs that she's been incubating about a week already, I'm very interested to see if she can hatch them.

Thanks!
Why not post the issue under incubating and hatching egg forum…Wish you could move mom and eggs somewhere safer.

Back
Top Bottom