Missing hen!

L66wlt

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2020
West Lothian - Scotland.
So tonight when going to lock up I seen that the run gate had closed and the girls were left in the garden. Most had perched on the outside of their egg box, one was hiding behind the coop and one had hid in a corner behind some old garden pots but I'm one girl down. No sign of predator foul play. Turned the garden upside down and no joy, checked the neighbours properties and again no luck. Our only real predator is the fox and cats which have never caused us any issues. She's only about 24/30 weeks old so hopefully she has hunkered down for the night somewhere and turns up again in the morning. Gutted is an understatement 😭. Lesson learned tonight!

Yes, good luck.
I thought I lost one when she escaped one night, she turned up a little bedraggled and perfectly unharmed in the morning. And she spent the night in the field of a killer fox!
Fingers crossed...

So tonight when going to lock up I seen that the run gate had closed and the girls were left in the garden. Most had perched on the outside of their egg box, one was hiding behind the coop and one had hid in a corner behind some old garden pots but I'm one girl down. No sign of predator foul play. Turned the garden upside down and no joy, checked the neighbours properties and again no luck. Our only real predator is the fox and cats which have never caused us any issues. She's only about 24/30 weeks old so hopefully she has hunkered down for the night somewhere and turns up again in the morning. Gutted is an understatement 😭. Lesson learned tonight!
She probably will make it back home.
Check your roof, I have heard of chickens flying up high. LOL
But here is clip to make you smile in the meantime. LOL

Attachments

• tenorpok.gif
    tenorpok.gif
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
Good luck. We've had to find chickens twice now due to human error and once because one got flighty at the wrong time. Mine stayed close to the run, but they also hid under things and luckily my daughter suggested to look under stuff we didn't think about so we found them.

Hopefully she shows up when the others get out into the garden tomorrow. We're pretty much surrounded by houses here and luckily enough I went out before it was dark enough for foxes to be out looking for a free meal. I just hope the other girls aren't too distressed with tonight's events 😣

Good luck. We've had to find chickens twice now due to human error and once because one got flighty at the wrong time. Mine stayed close to the run, but they also hid under things and luckily my daughter suggested to look under stuff we didn't think about so we found them.
Yip, entirely my fault, the bungee cord keeping the run door open snapped and the door closed in the wind. I've kept the run door open just in case she finds her way back.

I once had a pullet disappear for 18 hours only to reappear as if nothing happened. She was about 10-12 weeks old. I suspect she got really high in a tree and had a hard time getting down, but it was only a guess. Hopefully your gal just found an extra good hiding place and is safe and sound.
If she doesn't appear then I have all day tomorrow to look for her. Our egg count has dropped significantly of late and I wondered if some may have found a new nest, may just be the late nights and wintery weather coming in where I live though.

Back
Top Bottom