Missing neck feathers

Netalawhon

Chirping
Jan 25, 2013
I have one hen that has lost her neck feathers. There is no sign of mites, or sores on her neck. She is afraid of people and has been standoffish of the other chickens. She has also lost a few tail feathers. She will be a year old in March. Someone said a cat or a skunk may have reached through the chicken wire and hurt her but I don't see any injury or blood. We have 10 other chickens that all seem fine. Does anyone have any idea about this?

welcome-byc.gif
Two possibilities immediately come to mind. She may be molting or the others may be featherpicking her.

I have a chicken like that. My ducks seem to like to pick on her and pull her feathers out. They sell stuff at the feed store that prevent other chickens from feather picking her. You paint it on the neck area. I have begun separating my ducks from my hens as they are big BULLIES! Hope this helps.

I have noticed this on a few of mine as well. I think there is a little pecking going on but I have also seen them putting their heads through the gaps in the chicken wire fence to scratch in that dirt. I think they are rubbing some neck and head feathers off too. Just another idea for you!

One of my Brahmas had a naked neck/throat for a few months. I knew the culprit was my blue Cochin. I've also seen the Cochin pull at the rooster's neck feathers but he doesn't stand still long enough for her to do much damage. I knew it wasn't a protein deficiency and bought some peepers/goggles as a last resort, but I didn't end up using them. I read on this forum about Forco nutritional supplement so I ordered some. I've been mixing it with oatmeal a few times a week and giving it to all the birds for the past month or so. I haven't seen the Cochin pulling on anyone's feathers and the Brahma's neck feathers are growing back. I don't mean this to sound like an advertisement, just mentioning what worked for me.

It funny a duck was mentioned. I do have a duck in with the chickens. The fact that she is so scared of us and we have always touched and held our chickens. Being a sensitive person, I also have to mention that the alpha hen had an accident and was killed. I feel that she was a little depressed because there used to be two chickens that rooster on the door. Now none sit on the door. I wonder if she could be terrified because of the alpha hen being gone?

Back
Top Bottom