Missing primary feathers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PrinceSandwich, Jun 10, 2010.

1. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Songster

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    I have a Pekin duck, that has almost no primary feathers on her wings! Its like a ducklings wings. What would cause this?
    The rest of her feathers look kind of shredded to [​IMG] I got her from a guy that raises quite a few ducks and geese, but he dosen't seem to care for them the way I would. And hes really rough with them when hes handling them.

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I can think of a couple ideas - molting maybe, poor nutrition, or they might have been pulled out when catching her.

How is she doing in her new home?

3. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Songster

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:I think she had a full set of wings when I got her. It could very well be poor nutrition though ( from the other guy). Shes doing pretty good ( doesn't seem to affect her).

4. swp247

swp247 Chirping

Sep 19, 2016
    Florida
    I’m seeing the same thing here. I have two pekins. Raised from birth. They are 2 years now. Wings aren’t growing back. Feeding them feather fixer pellets added oyster shell. It no luck yet. I see this is an old thread but need help with this. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: