Missing Scales on Feet

Dodgegal79

Songster
12 Years
Dec 1, 2007
Princeton BC Canada
I rescued some young chickens and noticed a couple of them were not walking and eating. I picked them up and examined them and found that their feet had what looked like mud and crap caked on the bottoms. I brougth them in the house and soaked their feet in warm salt water to loosen it. Some started to come up, and then the scales started to come too. They were no longer attached, and their feet are very sore where there is no scales. I can't get all the stuff of the feet, I soak them twice a day and slow work on them, trying no to hurt them. How long does it take for scales to grow back, and has anyone had this happen to their chickens? I would like to know what could cause this. They do smell bad, so I am keeping them ina clean pen and soak with salt water and Betadine.

bump bumppy bump
big_smile.png

I may have gone thru something similar with two of my new hens.
These girls had obscenely long nails, which we clipped back, so they didn't walk much. We think they also had scaly leg mites, so after the warm foot soaks, the feet were dipped in mineral oil. The old damaged scales started to come off and new ones were underneath, just smaller and smooth.

Is it possible the cake/crud brown spots are bumblefoot?

How old are they? What environment were they in before and do you know what breeds?

Good luck to you and the chickens.

I'm with BlueMoon; I'd check to make sure it's not a problem with scaly leg mites or bumblefoot. Your birds are lucky to have someone to look out for them!

They are just young, the rest of their legs are fine, very healthy looking, just the crap on the bottoms. There is a lot of hay/grass and dirt on their feet, and its really stuck. Their feet aren't swollen on red, but they do hurt, one can't walk on one leg. They are happy being in the house, getting scratch, I'm trying to fatten them up. House Chicken is not inpressed that there are other chickens in her "house". She trys to eat their scatch through the wire door of their cage, I opened it for her to have some last night and she went in adn tried to beat them up. I'll just keep soaking them and cleaning the feet and see how it goes. Thanks guys.

Hi, Dodgegal79.

Do you bandage their feet after the soak? It might help them to walk better if the sore parts are padded. Also it would keep the injured part clean and might help heal faster. You could put a cotton ball with neosporin on the injured part and wrap it up with VetWrap - a LOT easier than gauze, and self-sticking. It comes in 3" rolls but you can easily cut into thinner strips. i get that at the feed store.

Good luck!

It sounds to me as though it might be both scalyleg mite and bumblefoot...can you post a pic (incl their foot pad)

I read a post here yesterday about foot pad dermatis, I think thats what it is. None of thier scales are raises or off coloured. I think the hay and crap was stuck to the scab on the bottom of their feet, which I soaked off. They are doing better now, they are wanting to walk around and talking to me all the time. As for the legs turning grey I think that happened depending what breed they are.

Back
Top Bottom