Missing wing

01_Quails_01

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2021
I have hatched quails since 2020 and have had some ones with problems but,a new batch of my own eggs I decided to try hatching,I realised that one of the quails that is hatching is sort of missing a wing or some sort of wing deformati and I don't know what to do it has been trying to hatch for the past two days and got a bit shrink wrapped and kept turning in its egg.I have helped it out of the egg abit but I'm unsure if it will survive I can't find anything about quails missing/deformed wing and don't know what to do.

(Has anyone else ever seen this or know anything about it?)

The ones that have hatched already are fine one has a bit of splayed legs but seems fine.

Attachments

• 20230302_104728.jpg
    20230302_104728.jpg
    726.5 KB · Views: 25
I have hatched quails since 2020 and have had some ones with problems but,a new batch of my own eggs I decided to try hatching,I realised that one of the quails that is hatching is sort of missing a wing or some sort of wing deformati and I don't know what to do it has been trying to hatch for the past two days and got a bit shrink wrapped and kept turning in its egg.I have helped it out of the egg abit but I'm unsure if it will survive I can't find anything about quails missing/deformed wing and don't know what to do.

(Has anyone else ever seen this or know anything about it?)

The ones that have hatched already are fine one has a bit of splayed legs but seems fine.
Do you think you could get a closer pic of the chick?

20230302_212406.jpg

These are the clearest ones I could get the wing is there just a lot smaller than the other and a bit twisted

20230302_212259.jpg

It looks like the tip of one wing is missing. It's a birth defect and hard to say how the chick will do. If there is nothing else wrong with it, it may live close to a normal life. If it is just the visible part of everything wrong, it may not survive.

I would see how active it is compared to the other chicks. It if runs around and eats and drinks like the rest, it's up to you whether to keep it or not. If it is lethargic and not eating and drinking, I would cull rather than let it suffer a slow death.

Last edited:
I haven't had any quail hatch with a deformed wing but I have had a few pheasants hatch with a disidual wing...I didn't even notice until one day I noticed it didn't have any primaries showing! :lol:
It gets and got along fine without the wing, just can't fly!

Back
Top Bottom