Missouri !?!

Not much you can do about it in Missouri. I've even seen waters freeze with heaters under them some nights. I just use heavy plastic pan, tap around the edge with a hammer, and the ice pops out.

Hey guys since we all have close to the same climate how can I keep my chickens water from freezing without spending $50
Lots of good advice in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ks-for-coping-the-elements-with-your-chickens

And in this article: Winter Advisory

Someone there posted instructions for making a "Cookie tin heater" for their coop. It mainly keeps the water source from freezing, but provides a small amount of heat for the coop too. The birds are fine in cold, even down to sub-zero temps. Mine have been running around in the snow the last couple days and doing fine.

Hope that helps :)

Hey guys since we all have close to the same climate how can I keep my chickens water from freezing without spending $50
Well it's $25.99 but it works perfectly for me. I have a kitty litter bucket (like a 5 gallon with lid) with horizontal nipples... My friend uses outside heat tape round her bucket and her horizontal nipples still froze up, mine with the heater inside works perfectly. Best $25 I could spend and don't have to worry about them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QXN1EQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
I use the K&h ultimate bucket heater with a food grade bucket and horizontal nipples. Alternatively, if you are home every ten hours or so a microwavable pet bed pad under a small waterer works during the day. I just bring it in at night when they don't need it anyway.
This submersible is $25.99 offered by Amazon.

:frow Joplin Missouri

Last edited:
Hello all my fellow Missourians!! Wonderful weather we are having huh?!? Now they are saying around 60 degrees on Christmas!! So let's see some pics of everyone's birds! I have a mixed flock two buff Orpingtons, a black sex link, a large fowl blue Cochin, a frizzle, a white Silkie--all hens. Then we have a Cochin mix rooster. Also one narangasette hen turkey and a rio grande hen turkey. We plan to hatch some Silkie Cochin mix chicks come spring. As well as find a blue slate tom turkey to breed to our hens. Let's hear what everyone else has!! Also we are located in Rolla/St. James area. Look forward to hearing from everyone!! Merry Christmas!!

Breeding pens of large fowl... Black & Blue Sumatras. Buff, Birchen, Black, Columbian, Millie Fluer & Jubilie English Orpingtons. Swedish Flower Hens. Cream Legbars. Iowa Blues. Silver Spitzhaubens. Coronation Sussex. Black Cochins. Gold Partridge, Blue Gold Partridge, Black, Silver Laced, & Lavender Laced Brahmas. Buckeyes. Salmon Faverolles. White Faced Black Spanish.
Breeding pens of bantams... Crele & Opal Old English Games. Columbian Cochins. Self Blue Modern Games. Bearded White Silkies.
White Sebastapol Geese. Muscovy Ducks. Modena Pigeons.
Jacob Sheep. Mini Donkeys. Scottish Highland Cattle.

Back
Top Bottom