MissPrissy's Daily Blue Plate Special - Guest Chef!

Sounds like my house. I cook they eat and they say THANK YOU. No one complains. One of the kids did one time and my fiance made him cook breafast for everyone in the morning.
lol.png

Chicken Fried Steak, french fries and steamed broccolli.

cubedsteak.jpg

I use a wide flat skillet and begin by letting about 1/4 inch of oil heat slowly to fry temp. You will know your oil is hot enough by dipping the tip of a wooden spoon in and it will begin to 'fry' if you hold it there a few seconds. No oil temp recommendations here. I just eyeball it.

Take the cube steak pieces and cut them in half otherwise they will be far too big to cook. You want them no bigger than 3inches x 3 inches. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.

Season flour with salt, pepper and garlic powder.

In another bowl have some buttermilk ready.

Take the steak pieces one at a time and dip them in the flour.

Now, don't just flip them in the flour. You want to use your fingertips and press the steak into the flour. This helps to flatten out the steak piece and make it a little bigger.

Dip it in your buttermilk.

Now, right back into the flour. Make sure you use your fingertips and press the meat really good into the flour and coat it well. This piece of steak should begin to flatten a little more and be nearly the size of the original peice of steak you cut in half. Your meat sure look almost like it is batter coated yet only dry with thick flour that is drinking up that thick delicious buttermilk.

Into the hot oil with each piece and allow to cook to a golden brown on one side.

Keep an eye on your oil, don't try to fry to quick or you will not only burn the steak but the bottom of the pan and all the little bits that float off of the meat.

Only once the meat is nice and golden on the one side do you turn it to cook the other side.

When you flip it over move it around a little to keep the coating from sticking to your pan bottom.

You only want to flip the meat one time.

Once both sides are cooked to a wonderful golden brown take them out and drain on paper towels then once drained move the meat onto your meat platter or a small pan in a warm oven to keep it hot.

the wifers wants to know how ya get it so brown all way round.

funny story : when she first came up to maine to live with me, we went shopping, she said she was gonna make CFS,, we got in the store, she grabbed the cube steak,, i was like " NO WAY!!!" ( my mom would just throw it in a pan and fry it till it was worse then my shoes) she said common,, i was like,,, NO,, that POO dont go in my basket EVER!!! ,, i made her carry it round with her,, then made HER buy it,, i finally let in and let her cook it,,, now its 1 of my favs,,, lol
wink.png

I am trying to type up the recipe. Sit tight. I will add it soon.

Usually I cook mashed potatoes and milk gravy with the CFS. My kids are going out to the movies with another group of kids and asked for a quicker meal, french fries and could they have the steak as a sandwich. Which really didn't make sense to make gravy and cook mashed poatoes for me when DH will be happy with french fries too.

Back
Top Bottom