1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mistory lethargic - need help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ms Miami, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Ms Miami

Ms Miami Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2013
    Coral Gables, Florida
    My 11 week old. Wormed last week. Checked for pests.
    She was fine yesterday. This morning a bit wobbly and lazy.
    Now no appetite, lethargic, keeps one eye shut - although nothing appears to be wrong with it. No blood in stool & backside is clean. Nostrils are dirty but not clogged, & breathing is fine. Heart rate is fast.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's possible you have a case of coccidiosis, but I would keep an eye out for respiratory disease. Get some Corid tomorrow and start all of the chickens on it for 5 days--1/2 tsp. of powder or 2 tsp of liquid in 1 gallon of water, change water every day. If they develop any eye or face swelling, rattly breathing, eye drainage, I would consider treating for a respiratory disease. Many diseases chickens get can come in two's and three's. Necropsies done on dead chicks some times show more than one disease because one disease can weaken their immune system, and then something else happens. Here is a list of common chicken diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

1 person likes this.
  3. Ms Miami

Apr 30, 2013
    Coral Gables, Florida
    I think that's what it might be, but since I'm not experienced...
    Should I quarantine her?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    No, they are all exposed if she has it, so treat everyone for 5days. Mix new each day, and do not add vitamins or vinegar to water until Corid is finished.

1 person likes this.
  5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Yea, get her/them on Corrid right away. I've seen it at feed stores and Tractor supply. It may be packaged for cows or pigs, but that's okay.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ms Miami

Apr 30, 2013
    Coral Gables, Florida
    Update: this morning she's back to normal. No treatment given.
    ???
    I feel I should still start treatment, is this wise?
    Could it be the side effect of the wazine?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think I would hold off on treatment and watch her. I would still get the sulfadimethoxine to keep on hand. It's good for cocci and also a good antibiotic. It's part of my sick chicken supply. I'm glad she's feeling better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by