Mistreated chicken emergency

BeginnerChickener

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2021
I am trying to rescue a single hen from a family friend who bought two rabbits and was also given the hen, the rabbits have done some damage to the feathers on the poor thing as they have been eating (or pulling) them. I haven’t seen the hen yet, I am just hoping they’d give her to me.

I also heard that she is having trouble walking, what other reasons (other than broken bones or sprains) could there be and how do I possibly treat them? I did get the impression the damage was done by the rabbits. I am worried she could be sick since shouldn’t a healthy chicken be able to run from a rabbit?

How can I tell if she has lice or mites? I also don’t know if she has ever been around other chicken, after quarantining and treating her how should I go about introducing a single hen to an existing flock?

Also how can I tell if she has lice or mites? I also don’t know if she has ever been around other chicken, after quarantining and treating her how should I go about introducing a single hen to an existing flock?

And lastly, how do I know how much damage is too much? When do I know if she is beyond rescuing and has to be pur down? I will be bringing her home no matter how bad her shape is because at least I could give her a merciful passing if she is beyond treatment.

Hopefully someone sees this since I really am in a tough spot :(

Yes yes yes, dont leave with out that chicken!. Even if its only to do the right thing. Dont leave her to carry on being abused even if its with the best intentions. You need to intervene asap

When you see hen living conditions-slot of your questions will be answered.
My thought is-shes in a cage (hopefully not small) with the rabbits and unable to escape or run from them.
Grab some poultry dust/permethrin and dust her-under wings around vent and neck-for mites. Look under vent for lice eggs. Treat if you see them.
Depending on condition, you will probably have to crate her and get her well. By then, more than likely, 30 day quarantine time will be up.
Baby steps, don't complicate it. Take a step deal with it, then another.
Ask for help.
First step-get the hen and evaluate her.
Ask for help/advice.
YOU GOT THIS!
We know you can and will help.

When you see hen living conditions-slot of your questions will be answered.
My thought is-shes in a cage (hopefully not small) with the rabbits and unable to escape or run from them.
Grab some poultry dust/permethrin and dust her-under wings around vent and neck-for mites. Look under vent for lice eggs. Treat if you see them.
Depending on condition, you will probably have to crate her and get her well. By then, more than likely, 30 day quarantine time will be up.
Baby steps, don't complicate it. Take a step deal with it, then another.
Ask for help.
First step-get the hen and evaluate her.
Ask for help/advice.
YOU GOT THIS!
We know you can and will help.
Thank you for the advice! Baby steps and lots of love it is then :)

I am doing my best, the friend said that he’ll try to talk to his daughters into giving her up but i’m not too optimistic :(
I know its a difficult situation but its the kind of thing id fall out with friends over. However well intentioned its abuse and cruelty to keep an animal with other animals that cause injury or injury is caused by their habitat.

Back
Top Bottom