Mite infestation (thoughts on white vinegar)?

Thechickentrainer1999

Songster
5 Years
Jul 30, 2018
North Carolina
So I recently found out one of my chickens had mites which I've never ever had and now all of my chickens has them, but some not as much but I'm completely cleaning the whole cage, though that's nothing new as I clean it on average of about 2 weeks, but was wondering if it was safe to spray white vinegar mixed with water covering the whole run and walk area of their cage? Or as an alternative dawn dish soap mixed with water.

I planned on doing this first today.

Then will give them 2 newly made dust bath areas made with de/dirt.

And was going to follow up in a few days as it gets warmer by dipping each chicken in dawn soapy water.

What are your thoughts/advice.

Last edited:
White vinegar is not going to do a thing for mites.

This will:
Screenshot_20211104-084645.png

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/martins-horse-stable-permethrin-citronella-spray-1-qt

So I recently found out one of my chickens had mites which I've never ever had and now all of my chickens has them, but some not as much but I'm completely cleaning the whole cage, though that's nothing new as I clean it on average of about 2 weeks, but was wondering if it was safe to spray white vinegar mixed with water covering the whole run and walk area of their cage? Or as an alternative dawn dish soap mixed with water.

I planned on doing this first today.

Then will give them 2 newly made dust bath areas made with de/dirt.

And was going to follow up in a few days as it gets warmer by dipping each chicken in dawn soapy water.

What are your thoughts/advice.
DE isn't going to rid mites either...neither will Dawn dish soap.
Bathing chickens daily may actually stress them just enough to kill them.

Get permethrin to treat all of the birds and all of the coupe weekly for no less than 3 weeks.

I know folks want to use the safest, most natural products on their flocks, but mites are difficult to get rid of. I suggest permethrin or PSP, too.

I just had an outbreak a couple of months ago. Had to clean out the entire coop/run. I swept out all the shavings, shoveled out the poop board, and replaced all the nesting material. Bagged it all up in large garbage bags (I think I filled almost 20!). That all went to the landfill. I couldn't compost that much, and I wouldn't anyway because the mites have to GO or I'd risk reinfestation. I would have burned it, but there was a burn ban in effect in our county. I sprayed the whole coop down with permethrin - every square inch of it. I took out the nest boxes and the roosts and cleaned and sprayed them. I treated the chickens and ducks with it, too. When I replaced the shavings, I used fewer than normal because I knew I'd be doing it 2x more over the next couple if weeks. Mites are a REAL pain.

I'm going to buy Elector PSP next time. That's a "one and done" treatment. It'll save me hours and hours of work...

Back
Top Bottom