Mite problem using Elector PSP

niroha

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 31, 2013
Maple Valley, WA

I have a mite problem. I’ve attached a video showing them on the door to our coop. It lost image image resolution loading it up so hopefully you can see it well enough. We opted to treat with Elector PSP and used 1/4 tsp per 24 oz water. We cleaned the coops and thoroughly sprayed them down before putting in clean bedding. We sprayed the chickens down individually.

That was all done on Saturday. On Monday I looked in the coops and saw more mite clusters so I sprayed down the interior again. Then I looked again today and took this video.

Everything I read about elector PSP says one and done. Has that been your experience? Do we need to up the dosage?

I'm struggling to see any mites in your video. What specific kind are they and is your Elector PSP from a fresh unopened bottle?

I recently sprung for a bottle myself but haven't used it yet. My math is probably fuzzy. I hope it's not, but would someone like to double check it?

For Northern Fowl Mites, recommended dilution is 3 oz per 10 gallon. For my conversion I got 5 ml or 1 tsp per 24 oz.

But if they're Poultry Red Mites, dilution is 2 oz per 5 gallon, less than the other. My math came up with 2.2 ml or 0.44 tsp for 24 oz.

ETA and for Northern Fowl Mites, the label says reapplication may be needed in 14 days.

I’ll be honest I’m not a mite expert and this is my first experience with them so I’m not sure which I have. I assumed red mites because my husband came in freaked out after putting them away last week saying he had a bunch of tiny red bugs crawling all over him when a hen flapped her wings after he picked her up. The next day we found tiny creepy crawlies in the coop. So small I thought it was just dirt at first glance but stare at the dirt long enough and it moves.

Yes it was a new bottle of elector PSP. I didn’t do the conversion. I let my husband handle all that math as I have a newborn I’m caring for and my brain is a scrambled egg. I hope the conversion is wrong because that’s easy to fix.

View attachment 1907126

View attachment 1907126

Trying again to post a still from the video. Circled the clusters of creepy crawlies

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/7jPYJKy

4E40D905-5B3D-4327-96FC-D379882EC2C8.jpeg

I would increase the amount and make a stronger solution. I use a gallon sprayer but I have several coops and as a precaution spray all of the coops. I use permethrin which is much less expensive and has worked for me. Permethrin does not kill the mite eggs so repeated sprayings are a must about a week apart and thoroughly spray the coop walls, floor, ceiling, on and under the roosts, inside and outside of the nest boxes, every crack and crevice. I had a coop and some birds that were infested. Now they are beautiful again. I used permethrin powder on the birds and in their nest boxes. There is no egg withdrawal period. I'm not sure if repeat sprays is necessary with Elector PSP because I didn't think it killed the mite eggs either.

"Contains Spinosad for control of house flies, stable flies, darkling beetles, and hide beetles in and around livestock premises. Mix 2 oz. in 10 gallons water for 5,000 to 10,000 square feet of coverage. For Northern Fowl mites mix 3 oz. in 10 gallons water and spray birds with special attention to vent area as well as floors, repeating in 14 days as needed. For red chicken mites mix 2 oz. in 5 gallons water and spray roosts and floors, paying special attention to cracks and crevices."

My husband and I were going back and forth on if we have northern vs red mites. I’m hoping someone can chime in based on the video but from what we’ve read the northern live on the birds, the red mites live in the coops and attack the birds at night. I didn’t find mites on the birds themselves when I checked them over but they had signs of being bitten and irritated. But the mites are all over the coops. That and how my husband described them after they were shaken off onto him at night when he was handling them makes me think red, which is the lower solution and one application. Am I wrong?

My husband and I were going back and forth on if we have northern vs red mites. I’m hoping someone can chime in based on the video but from what we’ve read the northern live on the birds, the red mites live in the coops and attack the birds at night. I didn’t find mites on the birds themselves when I checked them over but they had signs of being bitten and irritated. But the mites are all over the coops. That and how my husband described them after they were shaken off onto him at night when he was handling them makes me think red, which is the lower solution and one application. Am I wrong?

It sounds like you're right, but the dilution may be low. I redid the dilution for red mites and got 0.44tsp per 24 oz.

Dilution: 2oz per 5gal (as recommended on the label for red mites)

2oz is 59ml and 5gal is 640oz

59ml divided by 640oz = 0.09 ml per oz

0.09ml multiplied by 24oz = 2.16ml or 0.44 tsp.

When I went to their site it says one application only is needed but then it also says repeat application in 14 days as needed.

From the label:
Northern Fowl Mites: Spray birds in cages (layers) or on the floor (layers/breeders) with a coarse spray. Use a sprayer of appropriate design that is equipped to effectively apply the spray. Ensure adequate coverage of the vent area of the bird with a direct saturation spray for optimum efficacy. Re-application may occur every 14 days as needed.

Back
Top Bottom