Mite, worms, or what?!?!

Magee

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 30, 2011
I have 2 isa browns (Ginger and Three), 4 australorps and 2 khaki campbells in an outside run (rather large but fenced in). The two isa browns are at the bottom of the pecking order, and suffer because of it. The have both recently lots a lot of weight and condition, but I cannot identify the cause (sorry if the pics are gross).

The four black chooks have some breast feather loss and the occasional red patch, but otherwise seem healthy.

The worst of the black chooks

Three is the bottom of the pecking order, and is very timid

Also has a very pasty butt

Recent feather loss near crop, and wings are very scraggly.

One of the red patches, now looking at Ginger

All chickens have healthy red crops and combs.

I really don't know what is the matter with them. We have ordered both worm pills and mite dust, which are on their way.
N.B. Both ducks are in fine health, and we have been having days of 30*C (86*F), but they have a pond and fresh water. Please help!

It might help if you answer the rest of the questions in the sticky at the top of the Emergencies forum, such as their age and feed.

It is normal for them to lose feathers on stomach. When molting they lose a few all over. Their combs are bright red and they look healthy to me.

If you keep feed out in their feeders all the time then the low ranked ones can eat while the others are not around them.

Setting hens will lose lots on stomach just to feather their nest.

As far as red spots where feathers are missing that is reaction to sun and or touching the ground making the skin darken and appear rough.

If they roost on the ground it will cause them to lose feathers on the stomach area also.

I would accept that they are molting, but I live in Australia and we are in the middle of spring. The Isa browns are more skittish than usual and aren't eating very much. Will worm and mite them on the weekend.

I would accept that they are molting, but I live in Australia and we are in the middle of spring. The Isa browns are more skittish than usual and aren't eating very much. Will worm and mite them on the weekend.

Curiously, what wormers are available to you in Australia? Whenever I have one that looks thin, I weigh them, dust them and worm with fenbendazole as an oral drench because I don't trust that they'll get the right dose in water.

You might want to weigh each one so you can tell when/if you're making progress.

Back
Top Bottom