Mites + a (possibly) stupid question

@cmom Thanks for chart! That is very heloful. I am currently using the dust - time will tell if it is enough. Where do you rec'd to get the concentrate? What do you use directly on your birds?

Most feed stores carry poultry dust, premixed spray and the concentrate. I get mine at my local TSC. You can spray it directly on the birds. I have a lot of coops so when I do spray I spray in all of the coops. Several years ago I found mites in one coop and the birds looked terrible. I thought they were molting but weren't getting their feather back in so upon inspecting the birds discovered they were loaded with mites. Some mites only come out at night and feed on the birds so I have a headlamp I use so I have both hands free to inspect the birds when they roost. I thought the mites were just in the one coop but then I discovered them also in another coop so I then treated in all of the coops. I use a backpack sprayer but I have a lot of coops and birds. I also have a gallon sprayer. I like the wand as it allows me to spray in the hard to reach areas, cracks and crevices in the coops.

Attachments

• scottsGallonsprayer.jpg
    scottsGallonsprayer.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 0
  • GallonSprayer.jpeg
    GallonSprayer.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 1
DE will not kill mites for the simple reason mites hide in cracks and the thinnest crevices. Besides, DE is not an insecticide. It will not get rid of your mites. You can certainly try it, though. You will then see how well it works. Or not,

DE will not kill mites for the simple reason mites hide in cracks and the thinnest crevices. Besides, DE is not an insecticide. It will not get rid of your mites. You can certainly try it, though. You will then see how well it works. Or not,
We don't have any cracks or anything 🤔 except for the cracks that lead outside...

I have plenty of cracks where mites can hide such as joints. You would be surprised at the cracks and crevices there are in a coop that your not aware of, maybe around a window or doors or the roosts and poop boards.

Back
Top Bottom