Mites around chickens eyes and bumblefoot.

Mary1189

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2023

Hatching​

I have just got 2 new chickens this weekend. ISA browns (I think). Well grown. But my brother in law got these from a backyard chicken keeper and I'm unsure exactly how old they are. I think they haven't been looked after well. There are 2. My daughter named one pecky and other is called dolly.
I noticed on day 2 that dolly was limping and on checking the feet have bumblefoot (both feet but left worse then right).
I have been using Epsom salts soak since yesterday and bandaged with grated potatoes and a clove of garlic as I couldn't find the prid salve and have ordered online as well as antiseptic cream. The potato gratings seemed to help as today dolly has been more active and eating and drinking and walking as normal compared to first couple of days where she spend most of her time inside the coop. Today she has been walking normally until the bandage got a bit soaked from the rain - I let them out to explore my garden.
Today whilst changing the bandages I also noticed some small white mites walking round the eyes. How do I know if my chickens have red mites. What can I do to treat?
Also they have been nibbling at my potato plants and eaten some leaves. And I have just found out it may be unsafe for them. They haven't had a lot so hopefully will be ok. They seem otherwise quite relaxed and I think only one has been laying eggs only.

What would people advice? I have been told it may be best to euthanise dolly as both feet affected. However if she is walking around then seems like I have time. She doesn't appear to be distressed. Her foot was warm to touch today but not hot. She did allow me to handle it too.
Also what to do about the mite problem will it have spread everywhere in my coop?
I'm also expecting and was hoping none of these mites would be dangerous for me and baby. I have been using gloves to handle chickens. Well dolly only as pecky hasn't let me pick her up yet so pecky may also have bumble foot. But she's quite quick and also very cheeky has been greedy on a few occasions and definitely the dominant one.

Pictures of bumblefoot. Overall pic of both chucks. Have not managed to get a pic of the mites yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230716_222616_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20230716_222616_One UI Home.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230716_222607_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20230716_222607_WhatsApp.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230716_222558_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20230716_222558_WhatsApp.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230718_173156.jpg
    20230718_173156.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 8
Thanks. Would I just spray this everywhere as well as both chickens. My coop bedding is hemp inside and in the nesting boxes and I have put river bank sand in the run on top of a concrete floor. Both chickens have been roaming around my garden too.

Thanks. Would I just spray this everywhere as well as both chickens. My coop bedding is hemp inside and in the nesting boxes and I have put river bank sand in the run on top of a concrete floor. Both chickens have been roaming around my garden too.
Yes... spray them well and the coop. Every 5 days for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom