Mites; bathe AND dust?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Rhett&SarahsMom, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    not at the same time obviously but we have a mite problem and I have to deal with it NOW.

I have my DE and bought Sevin today(tax free day. got new tires on the truck too!)
    I am going to strip the coop. Rake the run and then DUST everyone and everything. But is a bath also a necessary step? If it is I am sure my dh will get a kick out of that.

I just want to nip this in the bud.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, I don't think a bath is necessary, dusting the birds and the roost is good, and if I had a mite problem, I would spray everything down with home defense or some horse fly spray that has permethrin in it.

3. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    ok, stripped coop. Dusted coop HEAVILY with the sevin.
    Then caught each girl and dusted them with the sevin. I had mites on my hand after two of them.

Then I put them in the still stripped coop and locked them in so I could strip(rake) the run and sevin dust that. I also dug a hole for them and put the rest of the DE in it.

I am going out soon and will be picking up more sevin. Since I know I am going to have to do this again to make sure they are gone and break their life cycle. Yay me. I was amazed at how good they were about it all.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Mites are hard to get rid of, so I would bathe them using a dog flea shampoo. I would also dust them once, and then again 7-10 days later.

5. oandrea

oandrea Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2008
    DFW, Texas
    Dusting with Sevin? Really? That is safe? (asking because I am clueless at this point, researching for future reference)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by