Mites; bathe AND dust?

Rhett&SarahsMom

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2008
not at the same time obviously but we have a mite problem and I have to deal with it NOW.

I have my DE and bought Sevin today(tax free day. got new tires on the truck too!)
I am going to strip the coop. Rake the run and then DUST everyone and everything. But is a bath also a necessary step? If it is I am sure my dh will get a kick out of that.

I just want to nip this in the bud.

Hi, I don't think a bath is necessary, dusting the birds and the roost is good, and if I had a mite problem, I would spray everything down with home defense or some horse fly spray that has permethrin in it.

ok, stripped coop. Dusted coop HEAVILY with the sevin.
Then caught each girl and dusted them with the sevin. I had mites on my hand after two of them.

Then I put them in the still stripped coop and locked them in so I could strip(rake) the run and sevin dust that. I also dug a hole for them and put the rest of the DE in it.

I am going out soon and will be picking up more sevin. Since I know I am going to have to do this again to make sure they are gone and break their life cycle. Yay me. I was amazed at how good they were about it all.

Dusting with Sevin? Really? That is safe? (asking because I am clueless at this point, researching for future reference)

Back
Top Bottom