Mites! (In Canada) please help!

LilyBird

In the Brooder
May 20, 2015
Ontario Canada
We've had our chickens just over a year so I'm not well versed in issues that pop up because we haven't had many to deal with. I just went out to collect eggs. Put them in the bucket and when I got them into the kitchen I noticed mites crawling all over them. So gross!! I'm in Canada so I don't know what I can get ahold of to treat them. I have DE. What do I need to do?! I'm freaking out!! I have the creepy crawlies!! Because now I'm finding them crawling on my arms...after I washed my hands and arms off. Do I need to treat myself? This may be a problem since I'm 8 months pregnant.

Special note..we've had a broody silkie that has refused to give up. Until yesterday. Maybe this is why?? Will a broody attract mites?

What do I do with the eggs? Chuck them?? (And one of our two spring babies just started laying - I think I collected her first egg today!)
1f630.png

Mites won't get into the eggs just wipe with a cloth to remove them don't wash the egg as it lowers its shelf life. Your chickens will try to avoid laying in the nesting boxes as that's where the mites will be. I'm not surprised the broody silkie has gave up as she probably has been attacked by the mites. Your chickens may not lay any eggs until it's safe for them to sit again. If you can get your hands on creosote or in the uk they call it creocote now because it was banned, (I don't think creocote will work the same way though.) if you can get a tub of creosote paint or spray the entire coop especially the cracks in the wood. Creosote will kill all mites and there eggs, throughout the family we've always creosoted our chicken coops. Also purchase some red mite powder from your local feed store. And I don't believe mites will effect you or your baby. They may bite but nothing serious but I'm not 100% sure.

After jet washing or scrubbing the coop, try spraying with a garlic solution. I mix around 60ml of garlic juice with 2 teaspoons of essential oils (a mix of lavender, thyme and cinnamon but you could just use lavender) and add 500ml of water. Spray all around and in any crevices then let dry. Somewhere i read just a mix of vegetable oil and water will suffocate the blighters! When dry, dust with DE (i use an old washing up bottle to act like a puffer) i put handfuls of DE in their dusting patch, and rub some into their feathers. I spray in the morning after laying, and change the bedding and apply DE before they go to bed. I've been doing this religiously for a week since we found mites, and though they haven't yet completely gone, they have reduced drastically, so I'll keep it up. To be honest, we need to get rid of the coop as soon as we can get a new one, and I'm looking at plastic ones. Don't worry about them in the home too much. From what I've read, they are harmless to humans.

I live in Canada also....I use Dusting Powder...Thats what it is called. Controls everything here. I sprinkle it on the hens, house and roosts. Wear a mask and rubber gloves....It works great. I had fleas in my Duck house...No more Fleas. My hens had mites last year...No more mites.
Go to a local livestock store...They will have it.

I live in Canada also....I use Dusting Powder...Thats what it is called. Controls everything here. I sprinkle it on the hens, house and roosts. Wear a mask and rubber gloves....It works great. I had fleas in my Duck house...No more Fleas. My hens had mites last year...No more mites.
Go to a local livestock store...They will have it.
Being your pregnant have someone else treat the birds....Congrats on the Baby...

I was just reading your post about dusting powder. I just got two hens that have some kind of bugs...mites or lice. I found a store that sells the dusting powder. Do you stop eating eggs once you dust the birds? It is really toxic.

Hi, if it's plain old DE (food grade NOT the stuff for swimming pools) then it's fine. Just check the 'ingredients' list first. Pure DE is non toxic, just wear a mask as I didn't at first and it is really, really dusty haha!

I always wait a week before I consume eggs after a treatment....I only treat my birds once and then treat the coop around the outside edges and the roosts...Never use in the nest boxes....It works great...I have been mite free for over a year now since I used the product..My Ducks had fleas in their Duck house and one treatment in the hut and the fleas were gone...

Product is Dominion Dusting Powder...
Good luck....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom