Mites in Coop

DuckDaddy01

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2016
Hi all - I'm traveling and my father sent me this text about my coop.

Dave, the light orange chicken died today. I noticed a bunch of small specks on her which turned out to be bird mites. The black chicken is not brooding, she is infested. The whole coop is probably infested and needs to be cleaned and treated.

What is recommended?

Thanks....

Hi all - I'm traveling and my father sent me this text about my coop.

Dave, the light orange chicken died today. I noticed a bunch of small specks on her which turned out to be bird mites. The black chicken is not brooding, she is infested. The whole coop is probably infested and needs to be cleaned and treated.

What is recommended?

Thanks....
I'm sorry for your loss.
Treatment for lice and mites would be to use a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust on the chickens. Clean out all the bedding from the coop/nesting boxes, treat the housing as well. Don't forget the roosting bars.

You can find Permethrin at stores like Tractor Supply.
upload_2019-6-11_13-8-5.png
upload_2019-6-11_13-8-15.png

I agree. I use permethrin spray and dust. Repeat spraying and dusting is a must. The permethrin will kill the pests but not the pest eggs so I would recommend weekly spraying and dusting for awhile. Spray the coop thoroughly, every crack and crevice as well as the nest boxes and on and under the roosts, walls, ceiling, floor, everywhere...

Back
Top Bottom